MTO Round Nose Sport 40 Set Up Advice

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all, as title says, after some tips, pics if possible.

Thanks
Wayne get in contact with Don Maher here on I/W, he has a great set up for the MTO's.
default_smile.png

Very good advice Don. I spoke to Mr. Maher a few times after buying the 1/8 MTO from you and he is very sharp on the set-up for these hulls as well as a pleasure to talk to.

Wayne, I have a Phil Thomas Round Nose Sport 40 that looks very much like the MTO hull. I'll look for Phil's set-up sheets and send some pics of the boat to your e-mail.

This thread is nicely timed, I also have the MTO Sport 40 and I am anxious to start on it. This is a really nice looking hull. I am considering mounting the radio box ahead of the engine with access through the bottom of the hull. Where do you balance the Phil Thomas round nose?

thank you Kerry

Phil's set-up sheet says 19-20" ahead of the transom(this would be right at to 1" behind sponson transoms without fuel).

I had the upside down radio box in the 1/8 scale MTO but found it clumsy to keep flopping the hull over.

I found Phil's set-up sheets and printed off a new set. If Wayne or Kerry would like a set just send your address in a P.M.

One thing I've noticed that the PT RN and MTO round nose 1/8 scale have in common is a strut that is set deeper and a longer rudder blade. The back of the hull comes higher out of the water than a pickle fork hull. Guess this just keeps the hull a bit more nose down to keep it from blowing off.

I found Phil's set-up sheets and printed off a new set. If Wayne or Kerry would like a set just send your address in a P.M.

One thing I've noticed that the PT RN and MTO round nose 1/8 scale have in common is a strut that is set deeper and a longer rudder blade. The back of the hull comes higher out of the water than a pickle fork hull. Guess this just keeps the hull a bit more nose down to keep it from blowing off.
. Exactly that spot on

Thanks Wayne M. I did get a P.M. from Wayne J. And I will be sending A set-up sheet shortly(from PT's round nose boats)

. In the meantime this is from Phil's hardware list.

Rudder- Speedmaster #102-40 45 wedge rudder 15/8" behind transom.(UNCUT).

strut- Speedmaster#spds-005-F(sport 20 flat bottom).

!4 Oz. main and 2 Oz, Hopper tank.

I used the 40 size rudder on the round nose not the 21 hydro like on the SSP45 cause the boat did not hold a straight line with the smaller rudder. Im sure the length was cut down some on the 40 rudder, Ill have to check it out.

The Mto is a longer and narrower boat than my Karleson style roundnose boat.

Would anyone know where to get a driver / windscreen / gauge cluster decal to suit this size hull (if available)?

Wayne, I think the only way you will get a windscreen is to make your own. I use heavy paper to make patterns and when it looks good trace and cut one from Parma .020" Lexan. Attach with three small 2-56 Button head S.S. bolts from Microfastners.com

Anyone have any pics of a round nose sport 40 setup mainly engine positioning, radio box set up etc? Thanks in advance

Hey Wayne,

This a K&H/MTO hull with a different cowl posted a while back. Should give you some ideas. CHEERS !!! Bob

Hydroplane%20003 - Copy.JPG

Hydroplane%20012 - Copy.JPG

Hydroplane%20014 - Copy.JPG

Hydroplane%20026 - Copy.JPG

Back