More power out of your motor?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somers Racing

Hey guys, I was wondering if NOS can be put in your boat stored in a Co2 cartrage? I know it isn't able to race, but I got my mind thinking about it for my sport 40 with a crap engine on the side for play. Can we put it on a servo, or is the speed not really noticeale because it is on water? I am just thinking of more power tonight for some reason. I know it can be done, but is the speed noticeable by the eye?

Thanks for any thoughts towards this.

Peter

P.S. I got the mind at work tonight thinking of speed boosters.

it will work i have been thinking of a setup to do it,

you need to dump the n20 in there with more fuel so you require a needle valve to adjust the fuel flow, then a servo to turn it all on, easy as, will probably melt a few pistons in the process getting it setup

Jim Auguston (SP?) experimented with this on K&B 67's for a while. I emailed him to find out what he did and what the results were. He recorded 50-60% more power on his dyno! However he destroyed a lot of engines, and then his club found out what he was doing and banned it anyway! A few of the other 'Big Names' in model boat engines have tried it to, and have blown up engines like they have never seen before!

The biggest problem was you need a LOT more fuel when you run the nitrous, otherwise the motor goes lean in an instant and it breaks, often in a spectacular fashion! There were other problems as well. You need a large and heavy tank for any decent run, also you have the weight of all the regulation and switching system, as well as a fuel enrichment system. Also in practice it is difficult to use all the extra power with the prop that will run on the engine without the nitrous.

I think a succesful system would use nitrous all the time, but only a small amount. This would eliminate all the switching and fuel enrichment gear. But the tank would probably still be too big and heavy!

Ian.

Back