Modifying CMB Headers

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobGutsell

Hi Guys

Thinking I need to change the angle of a CMB Header. The easiest way is to cut it and reweld it. Had anybody tried this?

Sometimes the aluminum is too soft or has too many impurities for welding.

Cheers

Bob

You can bend them easily , just heat with a gas flame , you know when it's hot enough by using the wooden end of a match and as you heat it up you run the match along the header and if it leaves a dark brown line then that's enough heat , you then drop it in water to quickly cool it.

It is now softened and can be bent by hand , I find it best to sand up two pieces of dowel that fit neatly in each end and gently bend away.

The header with harden back up when the engine is used with the heat from the exhaust.

See how you go.

Cheers.

Thanks Guys

I'm in New Zealand and know a few guys who weld Aluminum (Aluminium in my language) so can do it locally.

Thanks Mikey, it is for a transom exhaust, I've seen those Jensen stainless ones and may still go that route.

Cheers

Guys

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Mikey

I like the look of those Jensen headers, just one thing not clear on their website, do they slide inside the pipe like the cmb ones do?

Latest posts

Back