Modding os lower unit

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Brady

Hello, I was wondering if you guys are cutting the skeg on the os lower unit, I am talking about narrowing it. I have read something about this a while ago but cant find it. Also if you are cutting it do you cut it from the back,prop side or the front side and how much do you narrow it to? Thanks.

Hello, I was wondering if you guys are cutting the skeg on the os lower unit, I am talking about narrowing it. I have read something about this a while ago but cant find it. Also if you are cutting it do you cut it from the back,prop side or the front side and how much do you narrow it to? Thanks.
I don't change the shape of the skeg, but I do taper the trailing edge.

JD

pay close attention to what was said about kentley's skeg. he holds MANY world records B) . i also remember a full scale jet powered boat in australia going after the speed record. ken warby (sp) was the man's name, i think. he was quite a few mph short of it. he removed 1/4" of length/depth off his rudder, & promptly set a new record. trimming a skeg on the front or rear has advantages, no doubt, but it still presents the same frontal area to the water for drag. shortening it reduces drag...........

Last edited by a moderator:
Back