MikeP's sealing method is sweet...

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

ChrisAttebery

Hey guys,

I've built a few boats over the years. My least favorite task is sealing and sanding the hull. I tried MikeP's paper towel method on my new SGx21 this week. I used West Systems epoxy. Wiped it on, wiped it off and let it dry. Sanded it lightly and then reapplied. I doubt I added more than an ounce or two to the hull. The boat looks like it was sprayed with clear poly and I didn't have to sped a ton of time to get it that way. The Okume ply Andy uses now looks like red oak once it is sealed. ;D

Anyway, I just wanted to thank MikeP for making my most dreaded task much, much simpler and faster.

Chris

Did you use a paper towel, cheeses cloth, or just an old rag? I would assume that you would want to use something that was lint free.

I used a paper towel. I didn't have any problems with lint. I used a fresh towel to wipe off the excess each time.

I really want to try Mikes method, too. but I have about 1Kg of poly urethane sanding sealer I have to use up first. It is basically the same, but it sands a lot easer than epoxy. I think the epoxy would do better at soaking into the wood, though.

Hammer

Hammer,

I think that using Mikes method the epoxy doesn't soak in or build up as much. That is the big advantage.

When I built my last hydros I used penetrating epoxy designed to soak into dry rotted wood. It left a great surface, but added a ton of weight as the wood soaked up a ton of it. I guess I'll find out once I complete my new 45 hull. I'm hoping to have shed a pound over the previous boat.

Chris

Hey Chris! Become a member! This forum kicks!

Then I would like to see some pics of you projects. Sound like

you have some nice ones going. Share more with us ;D

Hammer

Ya, Join the forum. There is a lot of information to be had & a lot of friends to be made here! i sure have!!!! ;D

welcome aboard chris!!

[i know, i know, very cliche'd, but i couldnt think of anything else...... :D ]

hammer,

what brand sealer are you using?

the only type i've used is SIG, and it didnt seem like it would keep water our for very long, let alone strenthen the hull.......

Joe

I normally use an old T-shirt for doing this and it holds up better than a paper towel. I have done a few boats this way and I have to admit this is the best way that I have found so far to seal the outside of a wood hull. Sometimes I feel like the Karate Kid, wipe on wipe off, now you try...

C Herzog

An old t-shirt does make more sense. I will do that when I get my hammerhead .12 done.

Chris,

I have the West Systems 105 Epoxy resin and the 206 and 209 hardeners. What combination did you use?

Don :p

I used this method on the weekend with an old t shirt and west systems epoxy and it worked very well. Very very small amount of weight added to the tub.

Thanks MikeP!

P.S how many layers of 6 oz CF cloth do I need to make a 1/8 inch sheet????? pleeeeeeeeeaaaaaase help!

Tim,

I get .032-.035 with 3 layers. I use 10 to get close to 1/8". 10.4 Is what it comes out to on a calculator.

-MikeP

Back