MAC Troubleshooting

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow....those are some impressive shots!! the last shot is incredible...you can feel the speed!

Dan

Mike,

Those Stainless Steel propellers look like one of my X-450/2 just "SUPERSIZED". I like the finish

on them too. Must be some serious power, do you see how much the hub and trailing edge are

built up?

Nice photos,

Mark Sholund

Kewl, so we aren't that far off, the picture didn't come through, can you post it again?

You're not the driver are you? :eek:
Terry,

No I am not the driver. I am just on the of crew members that works on it.

I uploaded a few pictures to a photo gallery if interested. One photo that shows the tank and pumps is:

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...album=454&pos=2

Mike
Mike,

What kind of pitch; blade diameter & prop rpm are used?

Jim :) :) :)

Jim,

From the last numbers that Mike told me, they are running props that are similar to Octura 1400 series.

With the gears they can spin up the needed RPM at the prop to get the speed.

The low pitch to diameter ratio helps reduce prop walk and the 'W' drive (twin props) helps reduce the prop torque generated to the hull.

The Team that Mike is part of has been working with the 'W' drive for a long time. Mike had set me drawings of the 'W' drive over 7 years ago.

252 mph on Nitro!! Imagine that! :D .........and the Electric guys think that Nitro speed has hit a wall.

R/C nitro boats will see speeds of 150 mph and well beyound....it's just a matter of time. ;)

P.S. Congrats on the new record Mike! Will you guys go to Augusta this year?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike,

Those Stainless Steel propellers look like one of my X-450/2 just "SUPERSIZED". I like the finish

on them too. Must be some serious power, do you see how much the hub and trailing edge are

built up?

Nice photos,

Mark Sholund
Mark,

The props in the photos are a 10.5" diameter x 16" pitch. We are now actually using a 10.75" x 16", but they look the same. The heavy hubs and thick trailing edges are for strength. Even with this, the prop ears push forward overtime. The finish is a dull, sanded one - not polished.

Jim,

The engine turns 8,000 to 8,500 rpm at the end of run. The W drive has gears that over drive the props. In our case we are using a 1:2.36 ratio. So therefore the prop speeds at then end of a 1/4 mile are around 20,000 rpm.

Terry,

The props are a cleaver design. We chose to round the blade tips. When we first went to the twin prop setup, we had an issue with the props giving too much lift on the start. The nose of the boat would be buried in the water on the start. The first time out it actually went under for a moment. Anyway, we ended up shortening the length of the drive shaft - thus pulling the props under the boat more. The boat uses a solid 1.25" diameter drive shaft - no flex shaft. We also rounded the ears of the props. This is something that drag boaters have done in the past to kill lift. We had nothing to loose and needed to try something so we tried it. I cannot figure out why rounding the ears works. It seems like it would give more lift. Andy Brown - any thoughts?? It worked though and we have done it since. Hopefully this year we will try the pointed tips again to see if it was the blade shape or shorter shaft length that made the difference.

Andy,

Right now we are planning on going to Augusta.

As Andy mentions, the counter rotating props help reduce prop walk. I listed the leg on the ET record wrong. It was 4.762 second, not 4.672. It was getting late when I typed it in last night...

Mike

Mike,

built up?

Nice photos,

Mark Sholund
Mark,

The props in the photos are a 10.5" diameter x 16" pitch. We are now actually using a 10.75" x 16", but they look the same. The heavy hubs and thick trailing edges are for strength. Even with this, the prop ears push forward overtime. The finish is a dull, sanded one - not polished.

Jim,

The engine turns 8,000 to 8,500 rpm at the end of run. The W drive has gears that over drive the props. In our case we are using a 1:2.36 ratio. So therefore the prop speeds at then end of a 1/4 mile are around 20,000 rpm.

Terry,

The props are a cleaver design. We chose to round the blade tips. When we first went to the twin prop setup, we had an issue with the props giving too much lift on the start. The nose of the boat would be buried in the water on the start. The first time out it actually went under for a moment. Anyway, we ended up shortening the length of the drive shaft - thus pulling the props under the boat more. The boat uses a solid 1.25" diameter drive shaft - no flex shaft. We also rounded the ears of the props. This is something that drag boaters have done in the past to kill lift. We had nothing to loose and needed to try something so we tried it. I cannot figure out why rounding the ears works. It seems like it would give more lift. Andy Brown - any thoughts?? It worked though and we have done it since. Hopefully this year we will try the pointed tips again to see if it was the blade shape or shorter shaft length that made the difference.

Andy,

Right now we are planning on going to Augusta.

As Andy mentions, the counter rotating props help reduce prop walk. I listed the leg on the ET record wrong. It was 4.762 second, not 4.672. It was getting late when I typed it in last night...

Mike
Mike,

It's a good possibilty that the shortened shafts helped about as equally as the tip rounding. Both would have a small effect to reduce lift.

The prop rounding would have the greatest effect, but that depends on how much progression the props have and other design parameters of the prop. For some prop designs the opposite could be true and lift could be increased by rounding tips. It's not a concrete rule of thumb. It is obvious that the tip rounding/lift reduction fact holds true for the props you are using.

I do think the tip round ing did have the biggest effect and that you be real close to square one when you put a full blade back on.

With two props you have plenty of blade area to push the boat, so I would keep with the smaller props.

Sounds like what you are doing is working, so keep up the good work. ;)

I think I saw you guys on TV when you were having the launch problems, is that possible? Forget where the race was but IIRC it was the beginning of last year.

Still, a 4.76 at over 250 is pretty remarkable for a drag boat!

Back