M11 with Novak Switch

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete Markese

Supporting Member
Please help me on this...I just bought a used Airtronics M11 and I was thinking that I could install a Novak "Switch" in it in order to be able to have a synthesized set-up given that I have several boats and wanted to avoid having to change tx modules or rx crytals. Much to my disappointment, when I went to put the "Switch" into the M11, it didn't fit! All of the Novak ads on this product say that it can be used with either the M8 or M11 tx. Even Airtronics (Global Hobby) tech support say it will work. Am I the only one who has encountered this discrepancy? the back of my M11 has 8 pins that the RF module must connect to. The Novak Switch, at least the one I have (is there more than one model...I don't think so) only has 6 receptacles in which the pins could fit...8 into 6 doesn't work! What's up here?! Please help. Am I going crazy or what?

Can you post a photo of the mudule? If not call Novak and find out whats up. There web page only list the module for the M11 .

I have an older M8 and an M11(over a year old) and an older Novak Switch. My M11 is loaned out to a friend, but your post reminded me to have him bring it this weekend from his town 100 miles away.

Anyway I will look to see if my M11 has 8 pins. You are right my older Novak Switch can only accept 6 pins like my M8 has. I don't know if there is a newer Novak Switch for M11 and M8 with 8 pins

Fletch

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you post a photo of the mudule? If not call Novak and find out whats up. There web page only list the module for the M11 .
Eric it would be pretty tough to see what's up here in a picture. Believe me. My M11 has 8 male connector pins where the RF module connects to the tx, and the Novak "Switch" has only 6 female receptacles. Like previously mentioned, 8 won't go into 6!

It's amazing. I called Airtronics and they couldn't believe it. They're checking into it for me and will call me back. I can't believe that I am the only one that's run into this issue.

I have an older M8 and an M11(over a year old) and an older Novak Switch. My M11 is loaned out to a friend, but your post reminded me to have him bring it this weekend from his town 100 miles away. Anyway I will look to see if my M11 has 8 pins. You are right my older Novak Switch can only accept 6 pins like my M8 has. I don't know if there is a newer Novak Switch for M11 and M8 with 8 pins

Fletch
I have a M8 tx module and it's got 8 female receptacles in the back of it just like the tx module that I have for my M11 which also has 8 receptacles. Interesting. The M8 module will fit into the M11 tx and the M11 module will fit into the M8 tx. I don't think they'll work, but they do fit. In any case, the Novak "Switch" only has 6 female receptacles and will only fit into the M8 tx. I can't believe that Novak can advertise this synthesized module for both the M8 and M11 tx's unless you're right that there is a newer version of the Novak Switch out there. If there is, they sure don't show it on their website. Novak only references one synthesized RF module called the "Switch", and it's their product #2680.

Glad my topic reminded you that your friend needs to return you tx. If you find anything out that will help me on this, please let me know.

Thanks.

Time to contact Novak directly. I had a Switch on my M8, no issues. I don't know how many pins it had, and it is long gone now; I've standardized to Futaba PJ radios.

There is a mod you have to do to the board all it is is drilling the two extra hole required. I have done it on my M11 and have had no problems. There is an article on RCU on how to do it. If I can find it I will post it.

Zach

There is a mod you have to do to the board all it is is drilling the two extra hole required. I have done it on my M11 and have had no problems. There is an article on RCU on how to do it. If I can find it I will post it.

Zach
You are absolutely correct. I spoke with Novak and they do have an "older" version of the Switch module that fits the M8 perfectly but does require a very slight modification in order to fit the M11. I did the mod. It took 30-seconds. Everything works perfectly now.

All you have to do is take the circuit board out of the Novak "Switch" and cut out an opening immediately adjacent to the 6-pin receptacle. The opening that you cut needs to be large enough to allow the 2 top pins from the M11 to fit through it. No big deal. Fast and easy.

This mod is now done by Novak on all newly produced "Switch" modules so they will work with either the M8 or M11 transmitters.

Happy ending for all!

I just got my M11 back and started trying to figure out how to make the older "switch" fit and see if it would work. Before I read the last few replies I was considering cutting or drilling that area of the circuit board to accept the extra two pins(fortunately there is nothing on the board in that area).

As a precaution I decided to look to the Internet for help, so I searched for forums thinking I would get a lot of RC Car forums and then read what they have encountered. The search had this thread as the first result, and I didn't see many RC Car forums results.

On Novaks site it is called #2681 and I see here there is a #2680.

Now that I see this mod has been done to what is probably a #2680, I will do it and not have to be the guinea pig.

If I see smoke I will let everyone know.

UPDATE: I just did it, everybody is right, it is easy. Just notch the entire corner off of the circuit board with a Dremel cutting wheel and then use compressed air to clean the dust off.

It is kinda interesting that I took a Spektrum module out of the M11 because even though it's supposed to be superior technology, I've heard on this website there are possibilties of interference on the water.

Eric Canto has been using Futabas new full range spread spectrum 3channel radio system in his big hydros with no problems(it is currently quite pricey). I think my Spektrum is limited range or "park flyer" range.

Once I find a spread spectrum module for M11 that is definitely full range I am going to get one.

Fletch

Last edited by a moderator:
Please help me on this...I just bought a used Airtronics M11 and I was thinking that I could install a Novak "Switch" in it in order to be able to have a synthesized set-up given that I have several boats and wanted to avoid having to change tx modules or rx crytals. Much to my disappointment, when I went to put the "Switch" into the M11, it didn't fit! All of the Novak ads on this product say that it can be used with either the M8 or M11 tx. Even Airtronics (Global Hobby) tech support say it will work. Am I the only one who has encountered this discrepancy? the back of my M11 has 8 pins that the RF module must connect to. The Novak Switch, at least the one I have (is there more than one model...I don't think so) only has 6 receptacles in which the pins could fit...8 into 6 doesn't work! What's up here?! Please help. Am I going crazy or what?

Hello, I have personal experience with this matter and can tell you what to do. I called Novak and they gave me the skinny. All you have to do is open the Novak case and use your Dremmel and a small bit the size of the other six holes, and drill two more holes. The 7th and 8th pins in the M11 do not connect to anything in the Novak Switch. Close it up and plug it in and you will be good to go. James Beasley

Back