M-L Boatworks Gas Scale setup help

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Smith

Hey everyone,

I am building the gas scale version of the '67 Bud from M-L boatworks. MHR 6207, 106-C plans from Newton. Just trying to get some setup tips such as turn fin / strut depth, prop size, ect. ect. I will be using the stock Zen260 PUM for power. I'm not sure what exactly I will use for hardware yet either, however I am to the point where I need to start thinking about it. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!

-Matt

I've chatted with Mike about the basics such as CG and rudder placement etc. Just looking for more specifics is all.

Matt,I see that you are in New York state. I have not heard if the gas scale is up and running in your area, or if you even plan on racing the boat. Since you are using a stock Zen, the boat will perform better as a Classic Thunderboat rather than gas scale. The gas scales that are being raced have modded engines, and Classic Thunderboats use stock Zens.

I run a highly modded Zipp hull as a 67 Miss Bud in the Classic Thunderboat class. Your gas scale is somewhat larger than my Bud, but I believe the Zipp turn fin will work. The Zipp strut and rudder will not work if you are building scale.You could use Speedmaster hardware.

I don't believe Mike furnishes a cowling.It will be easier to build the hull, if you have the cowl first. It does not show well on some photos, but the real boat had a widened cockpit and cowl for a driver and rider. If you do this,it will require a custom cowl, which adds weight rear of the sponsons. With my set up I have found that a Prop Works West 6717-3, with a 3.95 pitch worked the best. I can send you photos of my boat if you send me your e-mail. Never figured out how to post pictures on IW.

Harvey

Thanks Harvey,

I should have mentioned that I was going to run this as a classic thunderboat. The original plan was to do it up as the 67 Bud however I am beginning to re-think that idea. I figured a Zipp turn fin would work but wasn't sure about the rest because I am planning to mount the rudder on the right side.

Back