LiPoy has arrived

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjslhill

You could setup a boat now and run 20 mins at probably 25 mph. Look for Europe to start running these in their events.

LiPoy = Lithium Poly

Very high capacity cells. We have used them in RC aircraft for a while now. Flight times of over an hour on some models.

They are lighter, smaller, and higher capacity than NiCad and NiMh cells.

Still not able to put out the super high amps that a NiCad will, but new technology is getting them prety close.

Peter

Visit www.climatemodels.com

[quote author=CySlyde

sorry about my ignorance, but what exactly is LiPoy???

Read all about it ;)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread....&threadid=92664

It's a l o n g thread.

I'm not sure it's worth it even on small (s400) motors. 10-15 amps at 7.4 volts requires 4 x 1200 mAh cells, connected 2 series 2 parallel weighing a total of 100 g and costing $70 + a dedicated charger.

As I'm a sports boater (nobody to race against :( ) I can almost equal that with 2 packs of 7 x KR1100 AEL NiCads and change packs after approx. 10 minute's use. The NiCads weigh almost double but for that I get the benefit of very low tech charging, lower hazard risk and less than half the cost/mAh.

Of course, NiCad technology has peaked and Li Polies are new and we are sure to see cheaper prices long term and maybe improved capacity and discharge rates. But for the time being, their use would seem recommended only in weight critical applications.

We'll, you can't run single cells in series, but series packs in parallel and your there. It should be interesting to see how the future rules will read on batteries.

thanks

Steve

LiPoy = Lithium Poly

Very high capacity cells. We have used them in RC aircraft for a while now. Flight times of over an hour on some models.

Still not able to put out the super high amps that a NiCad will, but new technology is getting them prety close.

Peter

So Mr. Hill what will it cost us to power a hull that normally needs 12cells and draws 30amps?

Steven Vaccaro

www.OffshoreElectrics.com

We'll, you can't run single cells in series, but series packs in parallel and your there. It should be interesting to see how the future rules will read on batteries.

thanks

Steve

LiPoy = Lithium Poly

Peter

I'm not sure I understand. The e-tech 1200 mAh are single cells and I have seen them on sale connected 2 and 3 in series and these connected with similar packs in parallel. For the flyers the weight advantage is very significant, especially when used with 400 type motors, brushed or brushless but for a current draw of 30 amps with 12 NiCad/MH cells you would a pack of 4 in series and 4 of these connected in parallel, i.e. about US$ 280. Advantages: twice the run time and half/2 thirds the weight. These cells also hold their charge well but don't like high charge rates.

See http://www.lightflightrc.com/

I am not talking about E-tecs per say...look at this pack

Power" LiPo Electric Flight Pack $299.95

8200mAh, 4S4P(14.8V), 13 guage wires

Rating: 5C Max Avg Discharge

Output: 14.8V Norminal, 8200mAh

Dimensions/wt: 50mm x 245mm x 28mm (644g)

40 amps and 8200mah! You could run forever with this pack in the boat.

Just like the brushless age, here comes LiPoly. Many will complain about cost just like they did with brushless. The cost will come down and it will take over some classes. Endurance for sure.

my 2 cents

Runtime is great but at 644grams thats only about 120grams lighter then our present gp3300's at a cost of 10 times more. Again I understand the runtime, but these are going to need new chargers and arnt the safest things to use from what I have read.

Steven Vaccaro

Think of this....you could put two of these packs in parallel and draw 80 amps and have 16.4AH. And less than 3 lbs. of batteries. I am guessing with water cooling you could run 40mph or 50mph for 50 mins?

Schulze 6-330 8.04 can do this......it's already here. They are not dangerous at all if you use common sense. And at the lake your not going to hurt anything anyway. The only danger is overcharging with the incorrect setting.

Runtime is great but at 644grams thats only about 120grams lighter then our present gp3300's at a cost of 10 times more. Again I understand the runtime, but these are going to need new chargers and arnt the safest things to use from what I have read.

Steven Vaccaro

And, that's just the 12 cell class. You can use other cell packs in many other classes. Yes, the cost is up there but people will buy it, they always do. Just like brushless.

Steve

how are you working around those little tabs?

they seem very fragile compared to the cylindrical cells.

ANdrew

The E-tec cells which we have metal solder to tabs.

The example above comes already built from the supplier. "Thunder Power" You tell them what you want and it comes built.

I have two 11.1V 8.2AH 4P packs from Thunder Pro. That's 22.2V when put in series. I got these for a project that a customer is trying. If they do not take them, I am going to drop these in a 12 cell Sport Hydro, add some water cooling and run that baby for about 1/2 hour or more at 25 mph ;)

Not sure about the Motor selection. Any suggestions? I can use these up to 49.2 amps.

Well, since you're pushing the envelope with technology, try the latest in brushed: www.thingap.com These are supposed to be really efficient, and from the small amount of testing, they appear to do better than some exotics. They cost about as much as an exoctic @ $200.00. There's a thread on rummrunner in the brushed section where a couple of people are testing them.

Gene

Latest posts

Back