lipo regulator amperage

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthony scardina

I'm going to use a 2s lipo for a receiver pack in my 20 mono and am unsure how many amps output I'll need on my regulator. I already have one that's 2 amps, any reason to purchase another?

These are what I'm using. I'm not sure what the "stalled" current consumption would be, but no load consumption is a total of 960ma

1x HS81MG 280ma

2x HS225BB 340ma

I think I'll be okay with the 2 amp regulator.

I say No good for lipo regulator amp easy drain voltage better use LiFe 6.6V
default_wink.png
without regulator amp

Last edited by a moderator:
5-7 amps is generally the industry standard for more than one servo. No more than 7 unless you have HV stuff that requires more. I don't know what type of receiver you have but Futaba 2.4 receivers can handle a max of about 7. I agree with Allan, make the switch to LiFe if you can. Much more safe and stable.

The numbers on the side of the servo box are a "consumer" redline number. If they are a reputable servo and receiver setups (like yours) then they have been tested to the point of smoke and sparks. So you can USUALLY get away with pulling just a bit more thru if needed. If it is el cheapo oddball import stuff,,then all bets are off and I wish all the best of luck.

If you are still down with the idea of just 2 amps, then dump the lipo and reg idea and just use a Nickle Metal pack straight thru.

I was trying to argue a point on a thread the other day that no regulator is required with a LiFe pack and a few people swore they burned out servos that way...I have no issue using LiFe, I've been using one in my 1/12th scale pan car for a while now with no problems.

How many mAH would be suggested? My nickel packs were 1600 mAH but I'd never run one dead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go with the LiFe batteries, much safer if you should get water in the radio box.

Lipo's like to release a lot of smoke, heat, sparks, & sometimes flames when they get wet.

I think the hold a better & longer charge also, been using them for my receivers for a couple years now.

My 2 cents.

Well, no matter what type of stuff you use,,if the servo is hard locked and sitting there lockstalled, it's gonna put a huge strain on the system until you click it off,,in which case,,the genie is usually out, or has his bags packed for the next available rug.
default_rolleyes.gif
It's all about matching components, settings input, and monitoring the expected life of your gear as you go. No one is immune from not having there tried and true method(s) cooking servos. That's where the expendable income can play a huge factor, in how hard you run your equipment, to a lesser degree.

To error on the side of safety and plenty of capacity for a light boat, 1100mah 6.6v LiFe,,for your answer. It's about 65 grams and it will last a very long time. For your Mono 20 boat with those servos, you could get away with 800mah with light loading..but I would keep a closer eye on it. About 43g with 800mah. Captain Obvious says you get to decide on weight and capacity my friend.

More variable and constantly changing load on the steer servo in a boat, than in a pan car, with all things being equal or close to that.

Its best to use a regulator with any setup that does not use HV servos with LiFe or Lipo packs.

Castle as a 10amp unit for aroun 20 bucks.. Futabas is about 60.

Both are overkill in the amp department but for 20 bucks.... its a good deal.

Grim

Go with the LiFe batteries, much safer if you should get water in the radio box.

Lipo's like to release a lot of smoke, heat, sparks, & sometimes flames when they get wet.

I think the hold a better & longer charge also, been using them for my receivers for a couple years now.

My 2 cents.
,,,And also this.

Just now found a puffed 2300 rec lipo in a old model. A test battery from A Main Hobbies circa 2006. Batt was unplugged sitting in the radio box with a hold charge on it. It's not the one you watch,,it's the ones you forget that takes everything. This one did not make it into the glass blowers crucible for storage. This lipo had not vented anything, but it was sure trying. Tossed some of the other aged specimens as well. Got lucky, time to pick some numbers.

LiFe pillow packs will puff, but they usually don't vent unless you work at it.. A better cell construction than a cheap lipo imo.

Back