Linux Question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slideblues

On tha subject of running distros...........

Has anyone found one that works best on laptops?

The research I've done most have Ubuntu or SuSe, But some have probs with Wifi and SD card reader issues.

Any recomendations?

Gene

Remember something bout Mint, But dont remember a followup.....

One Im thinking bout changing over is a new ASUS 1.6 gig AMD dual core, 4 gig ram, 230 gig hdd,

Running Win7 Sp1

Last edited by a moderator:
Win 7 is awesome Gene. Why are you wanted to go to Linux? Any particular reason? I have used ubuntu and Mint. Mint is by far the most user friendly Linux distro I have been on. But I have went back to Seven and love it.

Hey Rodney,

I got the ASUS last saturday, and spent a couple evenings with it.

Now I do like that Sp1 has IE9 after ya dump tha Bing bar, My thang is all the auto updates.

First boot I did stop Win7 updates, But then two admin command prompts to services.msc to stop BITS (backgound intelligent transfer service)

Changing a reg key to get Chrome to not phone home, and resetting Adobe to manual etc......See my point?

And the no virus, malware stuff with tha distros always a plus.........

Gene

What made ya switch back from Mint?

That makes since, I've still got my Compaq (same specs only orig release and IE8) too if tha kids come by,

They not touchin my ASUS its a screamer compaired to the other ;)

Gene

i like mint.... yea sure it's usually better software wise on winblow$ but.... sometimes doing things the hard way is better.

Yea I dont mind a learning curve, Found a site that tested laptops and which distro works better.

Mint sounds refreshing to me! :D

Thanks Guy's

Gene

Gene,

Get a MacBook. Booting and update issues, as well as virus scanning loading on the microprocessor resources completely go away!!!! I switched when my oldest started college and I am sold. Add automatic iCloud sharing between my Mac at the office, Macbook at home, iPad, and iPhone and I would be pressed to find a better solution. Microsoft gives you the same everyday functionality I was used to with Office and Outlook for Mac!!!..... ;)

Disclaimer: No, I dont work in my nearest Apple Store!!!.... ;)

Over tha river and thru tha woods........ :lol:

Hey Ron,

I was at BestBuy and gave a looksee to the MacBook Pro and Air.

Lion OS and Intel i5 proc, They are cool, the sleekness and weight of the Air is just nuthin.

But as Tom said, Lil pricey $980 to $1300 at my local store.

Gene

They are a little pricer than the Windows machines but what you will save over the next 5 years in virus protection software and aggravation, "priceless"..... ;)

Point taken,That deserves some consideration..........

Thanks Man ;)

Gene

Back