Life batteries & servos

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Seybold

Supporting Member
Hi guys,

I've been using Life battery 6.6v packs with Hitec servos without any problems, until recently. I had an HS-225MG burn up, because it got wet, my fault. I bought a replacement and within a few hours of testing the boat the servo failed. The servo doesn't respond to the transmitter and is hard to turn by hand. There was a thread on Jim's Dock about people having problems with the 645mg's.

Any ideas? Should I get a regulator, if so, I can't seem to find one for Life packs. Maybe it was just a fluke, I'm not sure if I should just try another.

Thanks

I run them with life packs without a problem. I did put a used 225 in a boat and it didn't last 5 minutes. But that was used. I currently have 3 225 and and several 85 hi tech on life packs without issues.

John, use a diode as described on jim's. Although, then you're down to voltage comparable to nimh or nicads.

A few years back just before joining the Futaba team I had ordered three HiTec 225MG servos. One was dead out of the box, the second smoked during set up and the third lasted one heat and that was the last time I used HiTec servos. Prior to that I had very good results with them, smart bet says the Life RX pack is not the problem....................

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you think about use a Futaba S3102? Rated at 6v, so I think it should be good to go. Also about the same size as the Hitec so I wouldn't have to change the mount.

What do you think about use a Futaba S3102? Rated at 6v, so I think it should be good to go. Also about the same size as the Hitec so I wouldn't have to change the mount.
Been using these on throttle and mix for years with not one failure, very good micro servo.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO... the Hitecs do not /cant take the voltage rated on the box... ie: 6+ volts... my life batts charge to closer to 7 volts fresh, and the Hitecs just operate nuts ( ive smoked a ton of 81 and 82's 225's and 65's)... until the voltage drops closer to 6 and stays there... idk, i just think either the motors in them or some diode weakness just cant take the pain.... Nicads top end charge weakens over time, or mine showed it anyway and i really didnt experience problems with them earlier... intensively the batt tech (life) is all new to me, and i may inquire if i can program my charger to a lower top end charge on the lifes..... sometimes newer may be better, per lightness and longetiveity, but as i ready boats to test, a fresh charged battery is always on the agenda.... smoking new servos out of the box on a new build really gets frustrating and i keep a nicad around for initial trimming.... we've come a long way from 4.8 volts.... 'luck Mike

I roasted a bunch of 85mg's and 225mg's using a life pack, yes these where new right out of the box.... never really any load on them either except opening a smooth carb and third channel needle during setup.

Any ideas? Should I get a regulator, if so, I can't seem to find one for Life packs. Maybe it was just a fluke, I'm not sure if I should just try another.
John,

No regulator. That's just another thing to worry about and put money on. I have run regulators in my helicopters for years, and I'm convinced that there is a better way. And there is. I run straight LiFe with Hitec servos. Granted, I don't have the time on them that others here do, but the servos are rated for that voltage. My advise is it to look at the ratings for the servo that you want. Hitec makes a pretty good servo at a pretty decent price. And they mostly all take 6v.

-Joey

Latest posts

Back