leg 7.5 - gas

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dion26

hey all i have a 7.5 k&b outboard leg i know that a few people have done this so just seeing if any 1 knows how 2 convert a 7.5 leg 2 fit a gas motor

any help would b grate

thanks later dion

You might want to check with Jim Irwin. Thought he had posted in the past that he made a conversion.

dion26 said:
hey all i have a 7.5 k&b outboard leg i know that a few people have done this so just seeing if any 1 knows how 2 convert a 7.5 leg 2 fit a gas motorany help would b grate

thanks later dion

107633[/snapback]

here's Jim Irwins phone # 765 747 4190

Email [email protected]

lawless makes a drive unit for gas motors its about $355.00 though contact fred at lawless he can fill you in on what you may need to do.phone/fax(607)687-0143or email [email protected]

allen

R Mfg.Co

570 DuBois Rd.

Owego,Ny 13827-2404

Last edited:
Here's a recent (07/14/05) chat I had with Fred in regards to his Gas lower unit:

Funny you should mention GAS OUTBOARD,

it's a pet project of mine. You might not know, I've had a G-23

outboard available for several years, but recently decided to update the

design and stopped making the old one. Perhaps a bit prematurely, as it

has taken longer, much longer, than I could possibly have imagined to

get the new design nailed down. You can see the "old" design in this

year's RCBM buyer's guide. The new design will look something like my

3.5 drive, blown up about 1.5x size, and changed slightly to accommodate

a motor weighing in at 3 lbs. It will sport a propshaft assembly

"similar" to a K&B unit, with the exception of having a one-piece

propshaft/flexshaft assembly instead of a square drive socket

arrangement, although that is not fully nailed down. The steering "arm"

will be a plate that mounts between the motor and the drive, and it will

have double water pickups. Everything is included,

propshaft/driveshaft/drive dog, transom bracket, swivel mount, steering

plate. All you need is motor, pipe, prop, and steering linkage. The

transom bracket is about 2.5 inches tall by 3" wide, so you have plenty

of width to put in solid mounting screws. I'm putting mine on an

Aeromarine Predator 50" hull I won at a race raffle. Aeromarine designed

this predator with the Lawless Cutthroat G-23 ( to be re-christened the

"Cutthroat G-drive") in mind. You can see it in Aeromarine's catalog,

with a Lawless Decal on the rear of the cowl and an old-style G-23 drive

on the back. If you'd like a closer view, I have some pix of a boat

built in England with an Aeromarine Predator hull.

I'll keep you posted, or watch the intlwaters site for news.

Fred

Last edited by a moderator:
The club I joined is trying to convert me over to gas. If I do, it'll be a gas powered tunnel. I've built two 47" WOF Solutions. Wondering and/or hoping this would be ok for a gas powerplant. I'm going to wait for Fred to complete the newer version of the gas lower before I do this though.

Here's a current Ebay sale for the Lawless Gas Lower: Lawless-lower-unit-Zenoah

EZ, I'm certain when I start this project, it'll be posted here... I'll try to keep you in mind when that does occur.

Wow, I think I'll go buy that beautiful Purple Lawless G-23 outboard drive for MY boat. (Just kidding) That anodizing on there is awesome. I'm still working away, as fast as I can push, shove, beg, and bribe my programmer. to get the machining programs ready for the "new" G-Drive. It will be quite a bit different from the old style, and correct a few problem areas of the original design. If you read Mark's note, above, you can get the whole rundown. I haven't settled on the price yet, but I "think" it will be lower than before. I will post pictures and particulars as soon as I get one unit done. I'm looking for a pipe design that will compliment the outboard arrangement. I've been in contact with a fellow who makes one that might be just about right, the hard part is he's in South Africa!!! We're negotiating. In tjhe meantime, I'm open to suggestions. I'd like something compact, that won't stick out like a stinger, maybe something in a circular style similar to those pipes they use on the little gas go-peds. They have an outlet more or less in the middle of the pipe that you can put a silencer on. Ideas, anyone?

Fred "LawlessMan" Howe

Fred,

Did you see the guy's other items? He also has a Quickdraw pipe on sale. Some time back, Topfuel took a few inboard pipes and made cuts on it to make it an outboard pipe. I was thinking the same line to do on a steel gas pipe. He has a a pic in the gallery: TF443 pipes.

What about these :p

Made to suit hanson type water cooled headers and also to fit the Amps manifold with full engine cover :D Please PM me if you want any details so this post is left as is.

Dave

Back