Leecraft XTR-21 Setup

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

lohring

What balance point and propeller height are you using for an XTR-21 with a modified engine and a 1440 prop?

Lohring Miller

Lorhing

If i may let me tell you of my setups for the XTR21

First the prop height is cridical "i can not stress this enough"

I ran mine .032" center prop shaft to sponson bottom. No more or the boat would blow off.

My boat liked the 1440 kind of.. I would not lock down this prop on the boat however. 40mm is almost to small dia. for the boat. This boat does not run well on small dia. props. A 42mm prop works much better.

Im my opion 38mm is out of the question on this hull.

One note about the 1440: It will make the boat hook in the corners. You can help this by keeping the motor tight to the transom. (i built a mount just for this boat and it is the one I sell).. But as much as i tried i only made is better and never realy got rid of it.

My motor ran 0 tuck and was staright as an arrow.. Make sure you do not run the boat with more then .5deg. tuck as things get real Tommy Tip Over in a hurry..

Also make darn sure you have no hook in the sponsos as the boat gets nuts if it does..ugly..nuts....

CG ..hum i can not remeber for some reaion,,hum poop..

The leecrarft is a good boat and i hope you like it.. I could not take the punshment anymore and sold it to a guy..osracer, you there......any comments..

Grim

Hey Grim, I remember that boat! I have had a love hate relationship with it for a couple of years now. I had a pretty good set up on it running a X440 with the prop shaft about 3/16ths above the sponson bottom. Few blow offs, super entry and a great turner until you get to the exit bouy. Then if you are crossing a wake or trying to make an inside move in some rough water you better either hang on and take your chances (50/50 you will make it) or shut her down and slow her down give up the spot and try again. Exit is ugly but straight away speed and entry keeps you coming back for more until you can't stand it anymore. I am about to that place right now and have a new Villian on the get ready bench. That said I will probably be back for more in Mod class with the XTR and oh crap will be another one of my mumblings again this coming summer as I tuck under someone coming off the turn. Bill

"That said I will probably be back for more in Mod class with the XTR and oh crap will be another one of my mumblings again this coming summer as I tuck under someone coming off the turn. Bill "

Bill,

I think you forgot one other event coming off the corner... the bouy that got in the way ;D ;D

I have not forgot your christmas present either...LOL

Thanks for the help. How much lead are you adding? My boat balances at slightly less than 8 inches from the stern with no weight. This seems too far back in my opinion.

Lohring Miller

Lohring

I think i ran mine at 26%.. i can not rememer but i do remember the boat not liking a lot of weight in front.

Grim

Lohring

The first step is to cut the boat in half at the waterline, then just throw both pieces away and build a Van Houten!

Just kidding my xtr that I used to run was balance about an inch ahead of where Tommy said to balance it (I never could get his set up to work for me). The prop shaft was about 3/16 above the bottoms and had about 1 degree negative thrust. The boat would run 53 all day long with the Rossi and a 1440 back cut and pitched pretty hard. Like another post says the boat was stable as hell until 3/4 of the way through the turn then you better be on your toes. I got pretty good a getting starts with this boat because getting through traffic was pretty sketchy. The only time my boat would hook was when going slowly or powering up comming to the start.

Mark

The first step is to cut the boat in half at the waterline, then just throw both pieces away and build a Van Houten!
has anyone got any pictures of info on the Van Houten Tunnel? i see people talking (typing) about them but i dont think i have seen one before...

Kris

ps sorry to jump into this thread : :)

Mark, Grim, & everyone

Thanks for the setup tips. As you probably know, I 'm stuck with the XTR. The XT-120 had similar hooking problems. Has anyone tried some fixes?

Lohring Miller

Lohring

The xtr hooking is not nearly as violent as the xt. You just need to be aware that it will tighten up considerably at low speeds. I did not see this with X series props just the 1440, but the 1440 at speed is a far better prop. After the boat is up and running hard it does not hook. The corner problem that I ran into was either blowing off or rolling about 3/4 of the way through the corner depending on the set up. By the time that I sold the boat I had this pretty much cured through very carefull tuning of the set up. As Mike said the boat is very critical of prop height/angle changes. You just have to play with the set up and get it to match your driving style.

Mark

Thanks again for everyone's help. I managed to get in some testing between rain showers and the engine ended up with the tip of the prop shaft 1/8" above the sponsons with a 1/2 degree down angle. I added 1 1/2 oz. of lead to the sponson tips, but I'm not really sure I needed it.

The boat will tighten up in a slow speed turn, but behaved very nicely at racing speeds. With a better engine than my old K&B, I'll be ready to chase the Dunlaps, Villians, and Van Hootens.

Lohring Miller

Back