Launching hydro's..how??

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6cuda6

What's the best way to launch/hold a Hydro so that you don't loose some fingers??? Like i said before, i'm new to this, holding it on the sides and dropping it on the water sounds good but....

I know i'll learn alot more at the pond, but at this time of year the pond is a little hard.....

6cuda6 said:
What's the best way to launch/hold a Hydro so that you don't loose some fingers??? Like i said before, i'm new to this, holding it on the sides and dropping it on the water sounds good but....
I know i'll learn alot more at the pond, but at this time of year  the pond is a little hard.....

90546[/snapback]

As long as you don't grab on to that shiny metal thing on the butt end you should be OK...Seriously, hydro's kind of need a running start to help them get on plane, not always, but it helps. Just toss it in with a nice forward push, and yes, you will learn a lot after being around the other boaters at the race sites.

Till the water softens up, here's one video of Andy's boat.....Look at the F Hydro video.

http://www.cmdracing.com/updated/speedfootage_gallery.htm

Cuda,

It is very similar to throwing a bowling ball down the alley.

You just walk into the water a little bit and give it a toss.

Have Fun,

Mark Sholund

Launching a hydro can be VERY tricky.

Here is what i see most guys do at the pond..

Grab the boat by the shaft with one hand tied behind your back then place it on your head.

Now take and yell..... Joey has a turd in his pocket..

Take the boat and spin it on the end of your finger like a basket ball. Dont be afraid to add some body English to it..

Look at your watch and cough.

Now for the tricky part.. with one finger on the transmitter and the other spinning the boat.. set it near the shore and kick it in the water..

That is it.. Nothing to it... :D :D :D :D :D

Grim the goof... :p :D

You guys forgot to add "the launcher usually gets soaked". I've perfected a launch and spin technique to avoid getting a facefull of water.

tracerbob said:
You guys forgot to add "the launcher usually gets soaked".  I've perfected a launch and spin technique to avoid getting a facefull of water.
90559[/snapback]

You mean "launch and RUN" right? LOL

Of course, if you throw it real high you will probably have enough time to get out of the water spray.

Last edited by a moderator:
So if i get this right...first you want to ignore the hydro owner asking you to launch his boat for him....them if by chance he corners you, fire up his boat on the stand and either throw the whole thing in stand and all [so you can hold onto the boat safely] or tip it towards the pond and give it a kick with the back of your foot, thus avoiding getting sprayed....GOT IT!!!!! :p

O/k maybe i should be more specific...one hand on the nose [between the forks] and one hand on top at the back??? and throw forward.... i know it sounds like a funny question, but if you've never done it!!!

If i were to ask you guy's how many of you know how to pit a 1/8 scale onroad car [fuel and change tires] i'm sure you wouldn't know...basic for me/ dificult for most...same goes here :)

6cuda6 said:
O/k maybe i should be more specific...one hand on the nose [between the forks] and one hand on top at the back??? and throw forward.... i know it sounds like a funny question, but if you've never done it!!!
If i were to ask you guy's how many of you know how to pit a 1/8 scale onroad car [fuel and change tires] i'm sure you wouldn't know...basic for me/ dificult for most...same goes here :)

90570[/snapback]

What Iv'e seen most do is to hold the sponson tube with one hand and the rear of the boat by the rear sponsons with the other. You'll understand once you see it done.

What's a 1/8 scale on-road car?

Thanks Russell...1/8 scale on-road is like the F1 of r/c on-road racing....engines are .21 size, cars are 1/8 scale of GTP class cars, approx 8" wide and 15or 16" long...Serpent and Mugen are the most common...

The cars our team runs are full inboard suspension [exact duplicate of F1 cars] and run on the average 75 to 90 mph depending on the track....if you like speed [as i'm sure all boaters do] you need to give these cars a try!!!!

Oh ya, you don't need to get wet!!!! :D

6cuda6 said:
Thanks Russell...1/8 scale on-road is like the F1 of r/c on-road racing....engines are .21 size, cars are 1/8 scale of GTP class cars, approx 8" wide and 15or 16" long...Serpent and Mugen are the most common...
The cars our team runs are full inboard suspension [exact duplicate of F1 cars] and run on  the average 75 to 90 mph depending on the track....if you like speed [as i'm sure all boaters do] you need to give these cars a try!!!!

Oh ya, you don't need to get wet!!!! :D

90576[/snapback]

Sounds cool. Your right, I wouldn't have a clue on pitting for someone with the cars.

Cuda,

I raced on road (delta, Nova power) cars for a number of years.. Im back in to Offroad (Ofna, CMB power) racing however as dirt runs through my veins.. its also on the back of my neck and behind my ears.. :p :D

Man i miss the pure handling of a well setup 1/8 on road car.. I could qualify the car up front time after time event after event.. but never won a main.. (my wife likely knows what im talking about here....) :D

ROCK ON and to tell you the truth launching the boat is more about holding the boat comfortably and firmly. The release should be flat with a slight forward push. I like to grab the left sponson with my left hand (not inside the forks) and the back corner of the transom.. as far away from the prop and messy exhaust as possible..

Grimracer

I got to where I use the hydro launch technique now on everything, planes and my kids R/C truck. When I was pitting for my buddy with his .80 mono, I learned how to go for distance and turn because that boat would still hose you down! I feel that it puts less stress on the driveline too.

The technique I use is to walk up to the side of the pond, put the transmitter on the ground, kneel down, reach out and dip the front of the hull in the water. Then I gently push it out while keeping the prop and rudder away from the bank.

I pick up the transmitter, stand up, tickle the throttle a couple of times to inch the boat out past the muck around the side of the pond. Then I discuss the state of the weather and/or water condition with my buddies.

When the ducks and geese have cleared the area, I hit the throttle hard and run my boat.

Yah,, I know,, I’m a smart A$$ electric boater. Just thought I’d add a little to the discussion since some of us are having a little fun with this one.

Garry Finlay

What happens to the extension cord???? :lol: Just kidding, read the lattest on the speed records...man can those electrics move!!! [ i have electric cars as well.....]

Grimracer said:
Cuda,

I raced on road (delta, Nova power) cars for a number of years.. Im back in to Offroad (Ofna, CMB power) racing however as dirt runs through my veins.. its also on the back of my neck and behind my ears.. :p :D

Of course you have dirt running through you veins you live in Wisconsin That's all that's up there besides Cheese :lol: :lol:

Terry

True enought... we also have skeeters, cow poop and LOTS OF BEER..

Grim the southern wantabe..

We try to give the boats a forward throw not drop them in.

Once my pit man, i think Kenny H, launched my SuperSport45 and it dove under the water, practically out of sight, not to give up i just held the throttle open and it kept pushing and popped out and took off. strange but cool launch.

Grimracer said:
Terry
True enought... we also have skeeters, cow poop and LOTS OF BEER..

Grim the southern wantabe..

91702[/snapback]

The opportunity was there so I had to take it

Just giving you a hard time Mike :D

Latest posts

Back