Laser cutting from plans

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myrcbud

Does anybody have any info on how I can get a set of Newton plans laser cut? What would one have to do to prep the plans for the service? All I'm looking for is for the frames and the shears to be cut, so what kind of money am I looking at? Do you usually have to supply your own wood?

Thanks for any help that anyone can give me.

I would think would they have to be drawn up in a CAD program such as AutoCad so that data could be fed into the laser cutter. Climate models has a cutting service and they could tell you what they really need and how much it would cost. I'm considering doing the same thing myself as I have a few of the Newton plans and being a CAD drafter by trade, drawing them up and cutting enough formers to make two or three extra sets to sell to help defray the cost of cutting them out. Hope this helps. Bob

tracerbob, I've heard that vectorizing has to be done in order for the plans to be cut from a cad file Whats that all about?

Vectorizing means a series of interconnected lines that terminate at coordinates. This is the output a cad program gives you. The lines are connected from one coordinate to another. Sort of like connect the dots. Programs, such as laser cutters, water jet cutters and CNC machines use these interconnected lines like a map to tell the cutting head where to go. For instance, it could tell the machine to cut 5 inches to the left, stop, and cut 5 inches up, stop, and so on. On the other side of the coin is raster files which are simply dots. Put enough together in some kind of a pattern and you have a picture. This is the kind of output you get from a scanner and is of no use to cutting machines.

I just answered a question for Ken T. suggesting I could be of service and could work something out (I know, shameless plug). Would you be interested? If not, I will help you as much as I can. Bob

Before any cutting is done, I would recommend cutting one set out and test fitting every part. The set I'm building from is needing a lot of adjustments to make things go together correctly. I've heard of a few others that have had issues with the Newton plans.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard the same thing as well Russell, it might be cheaper to just buy a scroll saw.

I'm building my 6th boat from Newton Plans and thay have all needed adjustment of some sort. Roger is aware that his drawings "are not perfect" and he will tell you so. He is the only one out there that has a selection of plans for 1/8th scale models and all have been hand drawn on the board, not on a computer. Please be gratefull that he does what he does or 1/8th scale hydros woundn't be what they are today without him.

;)

Before any cutting is done, I would recommend cutting one set out and test fitting every part. The set I'm building from is needing a lot of adjustments to make things go together correctly. I've heard of a few others that have had issues with the Newton plans.
If you are worried about fit. A good approach would be to use the set of plans, & "build" a 3D CAD model from them. Then you can make all the adjustments needed before you make the laser patterns. That way, you are less likely to need any adjustments with the laser cut parts. This is the approach I took when Hammer sent me sketches for his 1st HH.12 rigger to produce laser patterns from. I have built 2 models from those patterns, & it goes together like a snap together model kit.

Russell Bear said:
Before any cutting is done, I would recommend cutting one set out and test fitting every part.  The set I'm building from is needing a lot of adjustments to make things go together correctly.  I've heard of a few others that have had issues with the Newton plans.
88773[/snapback]

ALWAYS CUT OUT THE PARTS IN CARDBOARD FIRST the plans are good but there can be a lot of misalignment of stringer cuts..

I like to get the bulkheads cutout and then lay them on top of one another to check how the lines look, you can see something that is out of wack and coreect it..

PHIL

Last edited by a moderator:
P THOMAS said:
Russell Bear said:
Before any cutting is done, I would recommend cutting one set out and test fitting every part.  The set I'm building from is needing a lot of adjustments to make things go together correctly.  I've heard of a few others that have had issues with the Newton plans.
88773[/snapback]

ALWAYS CUT OUT THE PARTS IN CARDBOARD FIRST the plans are good but there can be a lot of misalignment of stringer cuts..

I like to get the bulkheads cutout and then lay them on top of one another to check how the lines look, you can see something that is out of wack and coreect it..

PHIL

89497[/snapback]

Good idea, wish I would have done that earlier. I believe I have everything aligned now. Hopefully start gluing this weekend.

Thanks..........

Wade

I have a project for you when you get bored at work !!! The designer himself is behind me on this...When I send the plans to you ,your eyes are going to pop.... :ph34r: Just let me now when you are ready.. :ph34r:

Butch

Back