Klass Kote clear over Rust Olium spray paint

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Davis

Anyone use spray bombs for color and top coat with Klass Kote clear?

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems the clear is too hot and dont like to stick.At least for me. Might have better luck getting a 2k clear bomb at the local paint shop

If your talking about the spray max 2k clear IT IS NOT FUEL PROOF. I have a 45 and 67 SG riggers I painted at the same time and it didn't last 10 seconds. And were dry for 3 weeks. The 67 SG was tested at 6 months and same results. What a mess.

sorry you had such problems with the 2k,.. it's worked for me with th3 Y2K,.. but I don't ever let the the fuel sit on the paint for extended time.. 65% nitro

When at Hobart while running another boat close to my 40 boat just the fuel blowing out the pipe wrinkled the tops of the sponsons. 6 months after spraying. 60% fuel. It goes right through it. What a sick feeling after sanding and prepping 2 boats. Lol. Not again!

That's really tough,.. I have not had anything like this happen.. maybe a bad batch.. worked well on boats for me

When at Hobart while running another boat close to my 40 boat just the fuel blowing out the pipe wrinkled the tops of the sponsons. 6 months after spraying. 60% fuel. It goes right through it. What a sick feeling after sanding and prepping 2 boats. Lol. Not again!
You could have had a bad can that didnt mix the hardner or it was old stock and the hardner was bad. Sounds like you were only spraying clear no hardner. Did that clear dry fast or did it take a day or two?

You asking about epoxy clear or the poly clear that klass kote sells? I have some rustoleum grey auto primer that i want to try with the epoxys too. that primer really fills and sands too but will the epoxy stick is the question.

I did not realize Klass Kote made a Polly Clear coat. I was asking the same question Phil is asking. Has anyone used the epoxy over the Rustoleum primers and paints?

You asking about epoxy clear or the poly clear that klass kote sells? I have some rustoleum grey auto primer that i want to try with the epoxys too. that primer really fills and sands too but will the epoxy stick is the question.
It dried in an hour or nearly. I handled the pieces just a few hours later.

It dried in an hour or nearly. I handled the pieces just a few hours later.
Yea sounds like the hardner wasnt good.

I sprayed two of Phil's boats with the rust-oleum primer. Followed by Sherwin Williams automotive (urethane) paint. The key is to let the enamel primer cure for at least 48hrs so the gasses can escape. I've had no issues with either hull and one is 3yrs old.

TL

Back