K&B to OS adapter plate

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Moyle

Hi everyone,

I just thought I'd share a neat little idea I've been working on for a while. What I've designed is an adapter plate to put your K&B bolt patterned powerhead on to an OS lower unit. This removes the necessity to have a complete new PTO to do the job.

It's made from 3mm 5052 Al plate. The plate fastens to the OS lower unit using M3 countersunk screws, then the powerhead fastens to the plate using M3 cap screws.

I've been successfully running my K&B powerhead on an OS lower unit using an 'ugly' prototype. What you see here is the neater version. It is fully 3D CAD designed. The profile and centre hole were CNC laser cut, and the hole centres were laser punched, then the normal drilling, tapping and countersinking methods were employed.

Take a look in my gallery:

http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?app=gallery&module=user&user=3762&do=view_album&album=1115

I'm trying to gauge the interest in these to see whether it's worth making a few to sell. This really opens up possibilities if you've got K&B, MAC, CMB, Rossi etc powerheads but want to upgrade to the OS lower unit. I haven't finalized a price yet, as I have yet to decide whether to sell it on its own, or with the required longer flex shaft and M3 screws. But the final cost will be reasonable, to make this a viable alternative to getting a new PTO made.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Cheers,

Dave

med_gallery_3762_1115_82419.jpg
med_gallery_3762_1115_10950.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
a kit would be the way to go. save having to gather everything up from different sources.

NICE...this will work well with the Rossi and K&B power heads, just confirm that if you have a thick PTO (IE Precision boats and maybe LIGHTS) that it MAY foul the steering posts.

NOTE: This is GREAT for Rossi and K&B and probably most others!

BTW Dave, I know someone who can make longer shafts, but sometimes he is a PITA to deal with cause he can't be bothered slaving over the manual Hydraulic press and grinder LOL

Kris

Last edited by a moderator:
That's very true, the thick PTO's would be something to watch out for. Nothing that a little chamfering on the front of the PTO wouldn't fix. Will be fine as is for K&B, Rossi, MAC, CMB, anything that has a thinner PTO. Anything else would need to be checked and/or modded before fitting. Thanks Kris! By the way Kris, you'd better get that shaft guy back from his holiday! :lol:

Good news - it has been confirmed that a Lights conversion K&B PTO in a Novarossi fits using my adapter plate, with no fouling of the OS steering arm or posts.

Engine mount bolt threads will be tapped to 4-40, as the larger diameter of the M3 cap screw heads was found to cause some clearance issues in certain applications.

gallery_3762_1115_22701.jpg

gallery_3762_1115_78441.jpg

Picture here showing the Breakthrough Tunnel after successful running with a CMB on the OS lower. Just prior to this it was run with a MAC powerhead. The adapter plate is proving its versatility!

gallery_3762_1115_61512.jpg

Latest posts

Back