K&B Throttle linkage question...

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FastFreddy

K&B Throttle linkage question...

Hello everyone...My first post here! I am assembling a TopSpeed Tunnel Hull, my first boat. I am left rather foggy by the description of the throttle linkage and was wondering if anyone had a pic or six of their K&B 3.5 OB setup. My 3.5 is used and hence has no instructions. Also...does anyone else have the Great Planes Marine Top Speed? I would like to chat about those linkage bends around the fuel tank. Thanks for any and all help guys! Tim

PS. I know Craig Trachten put one of these together for a RCBM article, Are you reading this Craig?!

Re:K&B Throttle linkage question...

Wow thats weird, I answered this last nite and it did not post, Hmmmmm ???

Anyhow, Good choice on the Topspeed, I have run two of them last year.

On yer throttle linkage, could not find a pic, so I will try to walk ya through it. Lookin at the right side of the engine, under your flywheel, at the bottom of the tower where it bolts to the engine case, the back allenhead, thats where your cable clamp goes, the throttle tubing slides in there, solder a clevis to the end of your throttle cable and slide it in the tubing, attach the clevis to the throttle lever on your carb, run the other end to your radio box, be sure to leave a bend in the cable as it goes forward so the cable wont bind up from full left to full right.

Good luck with your hull and feel free to check back for more info.

Gene ;D

FF,

I knew a Fast Freddie on swim team. ;D

I still have a Top Speed in the box. I you need a set of instructions I can copy mine. As to throttle set-up... Looks like everyone's got you covered there.

chunk t

Thanks guys...you've been a great help! The cable clamp is missing on my engine. I will probably make one or get one from 707 . I notice some of the boats I've seen have ball ends and some use a clevis. I would think a ball end would work well(I'm a nitro truck guy!).

By-the-way...I just bought a "gold" carb off eBay. Is it any different functionally than the black one my 3.5 has on it? I bought it for looks and because my mixture needle was broken. Paid too much but what the heck ;D

Thanks again and any more pics or suggestions would be appreciated!

FF,

I replaced the black carb on my ancient, stock K&B 3.5 with a newer gold carb. My experience has been mixed. I find the needle setting to be more sensitive to temperature & humidity changes than with the black. Makes getting dialed in a real pain > :( . But it does give a noticable improvement at the top end.

My only other gripe is real petty, the control arm attached to the barrel has the clevis hole located about 3/64" further out creating a longer stroke. This can make survo set-up tough if your radio doesn't have an option to adjust servo throw.

chunk

Great pic, Rob! Thanks! Is that the stock clamp? Good carb info, Chunk. I have a comp radio so I should be able to compensate for the control arm difference. Would the arm from the black one be interchangeable with the Gold?

Just click on your login and edit your profile by clicking modify, find the LLama thing and type in something else, watch and I will change mine

Ok now look under my login, simple!!! Just remember to click "Change Profile" when your done at the bottom of the edit page.

Done! Thanks again! Gotta ask this...What were you doing registering for this forum on Christmas Eve? You should have been off playing with your toys! ;D

Seems like Tom had just changed over to the Yabb SE format and I just could not resist playin around with it :D

Gene ;D

Its not a stock clamp. You could use the dubro clamp and mount it where one of the socket head screws is that hold the top bearing assembly on the case of the engine. Whatever works.....

Thanks for all your help, guys! I will be on the water soon thanks to you and Steve Speas of TwinCraft. I went over there this afternoon and he helped me fit the linkages and gave me some more tips. I'm really excited to get started in boats since I love my 1:1 scale so much!

Latest posts

Back