K & B 7.5 Proper Assembly Question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pilothyer

I am in need of some help regarding the assembly of the K&B 7.5 Powerhead. On the Outboards I have always seen the piston oriented in such a way that the cutout in the skirt was facing the flywheel end of the engine. I assumed this was to give adequate clearance between the counterbalance of the crankshaft and the piston skirt at the bottom of the stroke........Recently I obtained a freshly rebuilt K&B 7.5 Inboard, and upon inspection of this engine I noticed the position of the cutout in the piston skirt was facing the drum rotor, not the cranks counterweight....this was just opposite of the way the outboards arrangement. I am also unclear as to the orientation of the connecting rod with respect to it's position on the crank pin. The con rod bushing looks different on each side....one side looks like the bushing is convexed or beveled when compared to the other side.....On the Outboard engine I have always seen the convexed or beveled side of the con rod facing the counterweight, however this also was opposite on this Inboard engine Any help with the proper assembly of both the Inboard and Outboard K&B 7.5 would be greatly appreciated.

"The part I don't understand is all of it" :)

Both were correct

The skirt (shortened part of the piston) needs to be on the boost side of the crankcase. The long part of the piston should be adjacent to the exhaust.

The skirt is there to make it easier for the mixture to get up into the boost ports

The Oil Gallery (the little hole on the crankpin side of the rod) in the connecting rod should be facing the induction side of the crankcase. The induction side of the crankcase is the always going to be the side of the motor where the carb resides.

The gallery is in this orientation to collect mixture (mixture has oil in it) and get it to the crankpin.

have fun,

Last edited by a moderator:
Back