Just for thought...

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
His stuff probably stutters from what he did to the RX antenna. Coiling the antenna lead .... very bad. :blink:
Don, the car guys almost always had to coil some of the antenna with the 1/10 scale cars. When son John and I ran the 1/10 scale trucks a few years back we coiled the WHOLE antenna under the body. We just had to keep it away from the battery wires. It doesn't affect the range when the vehicle doesn't get more than 30 feet from you!

Dick

I know several guys useing the Spektrum system in there trucks and cars with excellent results. Now that isnt true with boats, some have had no problems but more guys have had range issues. One thing I did notice was that most that had "NO" problems had the antenna placed more towards the center of the boat and those that had problems mounted the antenna's closer to either the transom or gunwale. I wonder if the water created a range problems with signal skipping on the water? The new system for airplanes is meant for parkflyers, small foam and very lightweight. I would wait at least thru this next season to let them get the bugs out. If you want a shorter antenna I would get a commercially available base load antenna, to reduce the lost range issue with 75/27mhz. I didnt use a capacitor, but I did wire the power for my steering servo directly thru the switch and not the small traces on the reciever board. These new high torque servos can pull more amps than small wires and circuit board traces can handle properly.

Doug

Last edited by a moderator:
His stuff probably stutters from what he did to the RX antenna. Coiling the antenna lead .... very bad. :blink:
Don, the car guys almost always had to coil some of the antenna with the 1/10 scale cars. When son John and I ran the 1/10 scale trucks a few years back we coiled the WHOLE antenna under the body. We just had to keep it away from the battery wires. It doesn't affect the range when the vehicle doesn't get more than 30 feet from you!

Dick
Yup, 30 foot range ain't much is it?? Still coiling the RX lead like that is something all the major radio manufacturers tell you not to do, it kills range & makes the RX alot more vulnerable to interference from leads carrying voltage. :eek:

If you want a shorter antenna I would get a commercially available base load antenna, to reduce the lost range issue with 75/27mhz.

Doug
I'd have to go dig up the link, but I read a study not long ago that showed quite a signal strength loss with base load antennas.

The capasitor ( studder stopper ) was used back when the electric car motors were taking more power from the battery than what the bat had avalable in mah. 1200-1700 mah days where 3000 and up is the norm now. Just think what it was like with a 36inch antena years ago for cars and boats long tubes were the norm as well as routing it around a large flat plastic piece to keep it out of the way .

thomas

Thomas, ya got a point there, the new Jr XS3 I got came with 2 RS-300 recievers, and they have an antenna that is about half the length of my aircraft recievers(38") and Hitec surface recievers. A simple music wire antenna would work fine as long as they are the same length as what they will replace.

Doug

Back