just a poll

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

do you use the right engine?

• i truly use a .67

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • i cheat with an .80

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
If one can't win legally, what's the point of competing? Where's the pride in beating someone by cheating?

my thought also, Just a few week's ago, I seen an ops, in a scale, that just flat out was almost to fast, so it made me wonder, with many engine's that are so simular with there .80 counterpart's, just got me wondering??? plus though we could get some good reading in a subjuct like this!!

There is not too many guys left running the OPS, so it's not to hard to figure out who's boat you saw. Yes, it's a .67, and yes, it's that fast. I used to run an OPS motor and race against it all the time. It took years of set-up and hours of maintainance to keep it running that fast. What you saw was all that effort.

You can bump the port timing up on an OPS to get to go, but then you take out the bearing housing every race. They just don't last running them that hard.

If you really think that is happening you wouldn't necessarily have to tear the motor down. I would take a look at the prop. An 80/84 will turn a LOT more prop than you can get away with running a 67.

If you really think that is happening you wouldn't necessarily have to tear the motor down. I would take a look at the prop. An 80/84 will turn a LOT more prop than you can get away with running a 67.
Yup the prop is the giveaway. I have never seen any scale guy try it, For many years it was called a gentlemans class. Everyone treated each other and there boats with respect,now days you stick it in there and hope it comes out in one piece, or troll around the outside. Ive never won a scale final which am I?

There is not too many guys left running the OPS, so it's not to hard to figure out who's boat you saw. Yes, it's a .67, and yes, it's that fast. I used to run an OPS motor and race against it all the time. It took years of set-up and hours of maintainance to keep it running that fast. What you saw was all that effort.You can bump the port timing up on an OPS to get to go, but then you take out the bearing housing every race. They just don't last running them that hard.
I wasnt you Tom, though your boat went through hell... and came back for more, there was about 5 or 6 ops's running, just like I said, just was wondering, if anybody would conceal such a thing, just for topic chat!!

I truely don't think anyone is cheating by running anything bigger then a .67 in scale in D2. Most all the boats are within 5-6 mph of each other. I think an 84 would stand out, esp spinning a bigger wheel, that's a dead give away. Most people in D2 run CMB's, there are a few strong Picco's, and a couple of OPS's, and I'm the lone odd ball running a MAC .67

Last edited by a moderator:
The ops 80 and 67 do not look exactly alike, the cooling fins below the waterjacket are larger on the 80. But dont say an ops 67 wont run. They will haul the mail if done right. They will be abusive to the bearings due to thier size and the bearing housing will fail in time. But they will bring it. I personally wont stick it in there and hope it comes out. But trolling outside doesnt work either. At least not for me. My Oberto was in lane 10 milling when it got slammed. my two cents Ken

my thought also, Just a few week's ago, I seen an ops, in a scale, that just flat out was almost to fast, so it made me wonder, with many engine's that are so simular with there .80 counterpart's, just got me wondering??? plus though we could get some good reading in a subjuct like this!!
What does everone consider to be "Too Fast" for a .67 :blink:

Don

And what would you say is the MAX prop for a 67,

and an average prop for an 80/84
The largest prop I've seen run on a scale in RCU or UNW (in race trim-not set up for straightaway records) is a cut down 1465.

I can see this thread going very bad....... :blink: :blink: :blink:
Grim
Ive never seen a 67 pull anyting bigger than a x462 and thats too much i think. the 80 should pull the x462 or x465 with ease. most guys use a x460 i am smaller than that for the explisive accel at the start.

What does everone consider to be "Too Fast" for a .67 :blink:

Don
Don, Yours is to fast!! :p

I had my Miss U.S. running 75-80mph and everyone questioned what I was doing.

Just to stir everyone I put an .84 water jacket on my MAC. It was pulling a 462 or 465 depending on the weather and where we are racing. Boat is now retired because it kept delaminating the bottoms of the sponsons, may have gone a little too fast for the hull.

Now we have another boat here, Al Ansell's, it's running very quick as well and even did a 68 second heat time at the Nats in April.

How fast is too fast? Don't really know but one of the guys in our club said there is no reason why we can't get one to run as fast as a 67 rigger. I took that as a challenge and thats why the new Valesco hull is in my garage.

If its faster than a 67 rigger, than it should be looked at, otherwise they may be just doing things right.

My next race is coming up near the end of sept., I will have a modded picco exr .67 I hope to be swining a X457/3 or a X460/2 in a fairly heavy hull

My next race is coming up near the end of sept., I will have a modded picco exr .67 I hope to be swining a X457/3 or a X460/2 in a fairly heavy hull
The Best I have seen in a scale with a race set up is 75 mph with a John Ackerman & Marty Davis Pico- 67 and a three blade 460. This engine was one of the highest Hp 67 engines that every came out of johns shop in Indy I'm Thinking it was over 7.5 to 8 hp on 50 % nitro. I'm thinking that Steve Ball ended up with that Engine , some how ;)

Last edited:
I run OPS 67's in my Kai at a respectable 54mph. That's fast enough for me. But correct me if I'm wrong, won't the 80 p/s fit into a OPS 67 block. I have always been told that...

BB

Back