jae stuffing tube

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camaroboy383

what are u guys doing for stuffing tubes in the jae 12?????

start to finish explain.

im using a .150 flex...i typically buy the vegas stuffing tube,,bushing,,and nylon liner...

thanks,,,alden

I just did another one last night, My first one came out perfect, and I ruined 2 last night because I was in a hurry.

What I do is cut the length of the tube about 15 inches, this leaves it a little long on the strut end. I heat the middle section of the tube just slightly before red hot, dont heat the last 2 inches of either end. Let it cool by air. Dont quench. It literaly is an S bend. Stick it in through the bottom to get an idea of how you want it to bend, and start ever so slightly bending the tube to line up with the stuffing hole on the engine bulkhead. Now grab your ski(assembled) and start to get an idea of how much you need to bend the tube out of the bottom to fit the ski. take your time and reheat the tube if needed. I have a drawing of the last tube I bent, I will post pics tonight for you... I also dont use the teflon liner, I use ACH cables at .150 with a 3/16 stub shaft in a 1/4 inch brass tube. If you picture the stuffing tube as an "S" that is stretched out, its easier to visualize it.

Hope that helps.

BB001-1.jpg

dec102009028.jpg

dec102009029.jpg

dec102009030.jpg

dec102009031.jpg

dec102009033.jpg

dec102009034.jpg

what are u guys doing for stuffing tubes in the jae 12?????

start to finish explain.

im using a .150 flex...i typically buy the vegas stuffing tube,,bushing,,and nylon liner...

thanks,,,alden
Alden you dont need that nylon liner. Ditch it. You know most racers don't use them because some melt=brake the cable or hurt the motor. Not running any nylon liners in my JAE or the rest of my boats.

thanks guys... rob what did you use for a prop shaft bushing???

thats why i was thinkin the vegas tube as it comes with the bushing..

ive always used the nylon liner and had no issues,,, i suppose it comes down to keepin it greased....although i can see not using them in riggers cause of the s bend bein the way it is...

ac

I'm not rob lol but i can tell you i bought a Hughey .150 drive cable

and it comes with a new strut bushing. :D

Jeff Slade

Last edited by a moderator:
Miss hydro is correct about the liner. I agree with her as I don't use them for the same reason nor do any of the ones I've built. Some people do use them succesfully, I would rather eliminate that thought all together.

I bought 6 of those original jae struts that are adjustable, they have the lead/teflon/pressed in bushing so it doesn't use a brass one like a vegas would. I'm starting to use the new z12 strut and am making my own bushings for them. Just cut to length and heat the end up and flare it with a screw driver so it fits.

I'm asuming your using a vegas strut, in regards to those bushings, I use the ach cables and they come witH bushings.

right now i have a octura strut,,, not sure what they call it... but it is small..im kinda debating wether im using it or not...

the rudder on the back of your boat is the same one i have from zipp...

yup, same rudder. Post a pic of your strut, it might be easier to make your own bushings and is alot easier than you would think, the hardest part is getting the solder kit with the acid flux, thats if you need to make a collar on your bushing.

i have a lathe so a bushing is no issue.... im actually ditchin the octura strut idea... seems it falls way close to the transom as far as set back... so i think im gonna grab a z12 from zipp or someone on here...

How about stepping down to a 7/32" tube and using 1/4" tubing as coupler at strut to key with bushing. Seems like it would be a better setup as it would keep cable from wrapping as bad under torque and keep grease closer to shaft. Thinking of trying it on mine when I get there.

How about stepping down to a 7/32" tube and using 1/4" tubing as coupler at strut to key with bushing. Seems like it would be a better setup as it would keep cable from wrapping as bad under torque and keep grease closer to shaft. Thinking of trying it on mine when I get there.
I'm thinking I'd used the 7/32 tube with a vegas style bushing. I have the JAE.12 non adjustable strut. Going to have to find out tomarrow. We're building the light weight.12 version wright now. sponsons are 3/4 done,and they will be done tonight.

Missy ,Is right most of us are not using a liner .

a liner causes a little more drag.

I used the 7/32 tube, bent like the instructions

say also I like the Z-12 strut The JAE 12 design is

as close to rigt on as a kit can be made.

Having this much fun must be ilegal

o.k....well thanks again guys for all the info.,,,,,,

ended up ordering and installing the z-12 strut right from zipp...

i also grabbed a piece of 1/4" brass for the stuffing tube...went in nicely..

all is good...its almost done....

ac

Back