instaling sponsons

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubba

hey guys

i was wondering how far away the sponsons have to be from the boat... i was thinkin the farther out the more drag and better stability/closer together it wouldn't have as much drag and it would be harder to control...is this right, if so how far out should my sponsons be?

matt

I found that set at the right width they handle much better then if mounted in to close to the tub. I had to play with this for a why'll to get it right . If to far out the boat will start to dance the front end to much. Scott

so should i make my sponsons so that i can take them off and put back on/and agust them to ???

matt

Matt,

I set mine about 8 1/2 inches apart, with brass inserts so they slide in and out on the boom tubes. Once you get them right, you can secure them with tape or drill a hole and put in a small allen head to hold them.

Gene ;D

Matt,

glad your thinkin' bout that, i was just gonna ask myself....

Gene,

We're using Tom's .12, but it's gonna be powered by a Kickbutt .18, are there any differences we should compensate for as far as sponson width? Is matt's thoery about stability/drag correct? i was thinkin we should use the standard sponson width assuming the engine was .12, and be sure to use a larger turn fin........

my .02 with several bucks worth o' questions thrown in! :p

Joe

Joe,

I was running the SAW version of Toms FireFighter with a Trinity Picco .12, Mac pipe and Octura 1938 with Octura hardware.

To me drag is in the area of the sponson or tub in contact with the water. Generally they are set wider for Oval racing, and narrower for SAW.

Gene ;D

Oops, forgot the turn fin thing,

The way I make mine is just big enough to hold the hull steady as it turns without sliding.

for the tubes joe and i are going to use carbin arows..our boats gonna go camo!!! ;D JK

Matt

ok.... this is for a 12 boat??? or .18..... by the way. I would treat the k&b 18 just like any other 12 engine. I have my sponsons set at 4" out from the tub on the left and 3 3/4 on the right. that should be a good place to start.

4" on the left and 3 3/4 on the right...propwalk?

yes, the FF being discussed here will be powered by .18...

anyway- thanks all,

we'll start with carbon fiber arrows setting the sponsons 4" and 3 3/4 respectively, and see how it goes from there!

Joe

Latest posts

Back