Insane gas sport hydro in IMPBA

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Ferrette

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Vendor
A fellow boater e-mailed some pics of an Insane gas sport hydro he saw on Ebay. This is the first time I've seen a pic of the bottom. There was a thread on "that other forum" that Bob Kensill wanted to run the 1/8th gas Bud in gas sport hydro & a bunch of guys chewed him up on it saying it wasn't legal due to the rear ride pads & how it had to be a 3 point hydro. Well if anyone has been allowed to run one of these Insane hydros with this ride pad then the Bud needs to be allowed as well since this definitely ain't a 3 point hydro with the offset ride pad. So guys .......thoughts? <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
Paul Pachmayer said:
Hi Don,
Maybe someone added it on?

Paul.
No, according to numerous gas people like Bob Finn, this is stock. That's kinda why I'm asking for input from the gas guys. If this hull has been allowed to run at all then the Bud hull can't be turned away. As it stands right now here you have a major manufacturer putting out a boat that alot of people are buying. Then we turn around & say you can't run it because it's not legal?? Talk about turning away potential new boaters! Not a smart thing in my opinion. I remember one comment on that thread of something to the tune of "it's the manufacturer's fault for not reading our rule book" Huh?? We should be happy that a major player is even supporting this, something we haven't seen in years. :blink:

Rules were ment to be broken....but you gotta love that "we'll vote on it next year and implement it 2 years later if it passes." Crap let the guy run his boat for peeks sake! Is it really gonna give him that much more of an advantage! If you say yes........well....I have the right to remain silent..........

There are ALOT Of guys Racing the insane hydros.

Its one of the fastest hydros out racing racing, if set up well.

I would feel the bud boat should be able to run as well.

Or just Call or Email Jeff at INSANEBOATS and find out from him.

Tom

Hey Guys,

You know I just noticed something, the gas boats have the strut hanging off the transom. Is that legal in gas sport boats? Why not nitro sport?

Paul.

The ride pad or ski as some call it is a add on deal.Jeff Michaud doesnt reccomend them on his hydro if setup properly.I just bought a new hull and asked if I need to add one and he said no.Theyre not in the kit or on the setup directions.I have 3 of these hulls and one did have one that fell off during running and I saw no difference in performance.From my understanding is it is supposed to help keep the rear ontop of the water in a corner.Usually if one is added theres other problems with the setup thats not working right. Other hulls like Stryker Hydros do need to run with them in a heat racing situation.I honestly do not know why the Bud hull would be illegal but theres probably more than a ride pad.The Bud boat from what Im hearing is not the best handling hull and a ride pad may be needed to run it in a heat race.I personally feel the there should be no reason that the 2 boats couldnt be run together.If a newbe wants to run this class he needs to start someplace.Maybe the rules need to be changed or there just wont be too many new members in that class.Just my 2 cents.

I have a new INSANE Hydro and it does not have nor require a ski or extra riding surfaces.

This has been a huge misconception because I think a few people were adding them to the old design INSANE Hydro.

So wether they were added on or original, the bottom line is they have been allowed to run, right? That added pad makes it a 4 point hydro so that kinda knocks the wind out of the Bud not being allowed to run in gas sport hydro based on it having the 2 small ride pads (like the real one) to get it up on plane. These pads on the Bud are nowhere near as large as that shoe people were/are running on the Insanes & Strykers & they are not even contacting the water once the boat is on step. So what really is the big deal with the Bud?? I say let it run! :D

Well Don I think it goes like this.. In NASCAR some guys try to run extra fuel tubing to gain just a little more fuel mileage. It's all good until you get teched and it backfires on you.

How many people at every race really know the rules? I found when I was at the IMPBA Internats in Indiana a few years back, every morning was a Q&A Session on what was the proper interpretation of the rules. All kinds of questions with people trying to figure the best way to use the rules to their advantage.

The majority of INSANE Boats that are out on the market do not have the ski/ride pad - if they do they need to be teched and the owner needs to remove the ski. If the boat does have it, its an old design boat and will not have the design improvements of the new boat.

As for the BUD Boat not being allowed to run, that is a decision of the Division Chairmen - people don't like it they need to run for one of the many thankless jobs in this hobby.

As NAMBA District 7 Director, if a new boater showed up with a BUD boat, I'd allow for it to run. In all liklihood it will not be competitive enough to contest with the PI's, RC Marine Designs and INSANE's. It is all about getting people on the water, if there are enough boats a special spec class could be a solution.

"It is all about getting people on the water......"

EXACTLY! Let them run, the LAST thing we need is to turn away a new boater. That's where I was going with this, as tons of those Bud's are being sold. Let them run, get bit by the boating bug & go on from there. B)

The Bud boat has rear sponsons not a rear ride pad. Hey I say run it, at 35 to 40MPH what could it hurt. I added the ride pad on my old Stryker Hydro to keep the left front sponson down. You could just think of a slight left and the boat would roll. I believe the problem has been solved in the new Insane Hydro.

I've built a couple of woodies and have not added any type of rear pads to date. I believe that if you have to add rear shoes to a hydro, there's other issues anyhow and I'm not one that's going to worry about it.

With that said, I too believe it's time to get some newbies into racing and allow them to run what's availible. The Bub boat is not fast enough to be a consern no how so I too say let them run. Even if it was a consern, let them run anyhow. Nick-picking the rules to death is getting old and out of hand in some cases.... This is a hobby and should remain just that. Something done for relaxment and enjoyment. This is my hobby, not my way of living!

For some one that would like to race and don't have the know-how to build a boat or have the cash that it takes this is an awesome way to get them interested in this great hobby.

If a newbie (or anyone else for that matter) would like to race a four (4) point hydro and live in Ohio or nearby, come on out to the NCPH and we'll let you run.

The bud boat that was trying to run was attempting to set a speed record it was TECHed according to the rules and did not qualify according to the rules passed by the general membership. So you guys that keep saying ignore the rules this time. You really do not run by any rules except the ones you like at the time. Is that correct? The rule clearly states no 4 point hydros the same as the Nitro sport 40 rule.

Try reading the rulebook before you go off half informed and just take for granted what someone is spouting off as fact!!!

"Try reading the rulebook before you go off half informed and just take for granted what someone is spouting off as fact!!!"

Try re-reading the thread before you start jumpin' on people's a$$es. No one is argueing about the rule as written, rather a quest for thoughts & opinions. The old thread that was mentioned was where Bob Kensill wanted to find a way to get these hulls a place to heat race. The problem with the rule is that it there has been "pick & choose" as to it's enforcement. There are/were a number of modified (who cares by who at this point) gas sport hulls that have been allowed to RACE with the added ride pad which makes them illegal. But then people beat up on someone who wants to find a way to let this Bud boat race. You gas guys created all those goofy classes but when a boat like the Bud (or a gas canard) wants to run then it's sorry no class for it. Bottom line, either they're ALL illegal if it's not a 3 point or if you bend the rules for one you need to bend for all, right, wrong or otherwise. <_<

[SIZE=14pt]AAAAAAA-gree....![/SIZE]

As world wide as the hobby but as small as it is, there has to be something done to include what's available on the market. Not all, if any at all, can put together a hydro (or race boat in general) and expect to be somewhat competitive. I am one that believes a newbie needs to start in the slower end classes for a season or two before jumping in with both feet. FYI, I personally raced two years in a stock gas class before moving into another class. And, to be honest, I still love the gas stock class boats because it's more of a drivers class verses a "Who has the know-how and money class".

Discouraging newbies from joining is something that I see several of the rules are doing and this is one of them.

I am not saying lets re-write the whole rule book either. I am saying there are items that need to be brought up to date. This bureaucratic issue of making excuses is getting wayyyyyyy old. I am only suggesting that we stop looking for reasons to not welcome new blood to the hobby and invite them to join us and have some fun. There are some awesome people out there if you'd only look at who's around you.

We where all newbies at one time and for one reason or another we stuck to it and got to where we are now.

Get with the times and lets welcome new boaters and stop having the attitudes.

MR.BZUBEE MAYBE you might want to go and read the post before you open your trap!!Most boaters dont have a issue with letting the Bud hull against them.I remember being a new guy trying to fit and and it sucks sometimes.I started with a Shockwave and ran open class.Our club and others Ive run with are pretty relaxed on some rules just so someone can race with us even if we dont have a specific class for that particular boat.As far as a Bud boat if thats what you got and want to race it bring it to our pond .Im not going to tell you to go home because its not legal.ITS A ENTRY LEVEL READY TO RUN and certainly not the fastest boat on the water.Why are people making a big deal about it?I really dont think one will give any of my Insanes a run for the money if so more power to you.Its the Whiners among us that keep the newbees away. :angry:

__0_

I did read the thread and you were complaining about "The board " passing rules well it's not the board that passes the rules The gas rules especially were written by members of Ken gas rules committe and voted on and pssed the general membership. Rules can be changed by writing a change and submitting as a proposal.

I too am in favor of allowing the Bud Boats tro race as sport hydros but right now the rules do not allow that.

The whole idea of going by the rule book is so the rules are the same for everyone no matter what section of the country you come from. I know right now there are alot of Gas Rules that are not being followed and that is fine but the rules that are not being followed should be listed on the race flyer.

Getting a rule changed in IMPBA takes at least two years. I'm not going to wait that long for them to get their act together. Since the Cincinnati club waited so long to post a date for the gas nats,I have made other plans and won't be there. I sold my Bud boat,so someone else will have to find out which butt you have to kiss to make the "most popular boat",at least as far as quantity sold goes, legal to race. I'm sticking with my nitro boats this year.

Latest posts

Back