IMPBA 1/10 scale hydroplane class?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Strange

I am interested in building a 1/10 scale hydroplane, and was wondering if IMPBA has any rules or trial/rules for the class...

NAMBA has rules as well as E-RCU and I have also looked at Classicthunder.us. I did not see anything about 1/10 scale in the IMPBA rulebook that is posted on the website.

If a IMPBA rule does not exist, I guess I will build to the NAMBA rules...although I may not adhere to the speccific rules about the strut and turn fin locaion on classic hydroplanes. Also, my boat will run clockwise...

Thanks for any input...

Tim

P.S. I do have a 1/8 scale project in the works!

Last edited by a moderator:
Tim, I made a 1/10 scale T-6 from Ml that I made into sport 40. I had Mike make the rear flat ( NO recessed transom) and I can't remember who I got the cowling parts from. I had to make it 1" longer to fit minimum length spec and I made it 1" wider. Probably doesn't answer your question but I'd like to make a 1/10th scale myself

Sam, I have been looking at building a "classic" round nose style hull. Looks like Classichydros.com has the Newton 102, 105 hulls and the 1954 Breathless short kits available in 1/10 scale. I think they are all based on the Garry Finlay plans.

I have two SV27 motors on hand as well as 4S and 2S packs. All I need hardware-wise are struts and rudders...and I may actually have the rudders too. So I might be building a 102 and a 105!

A very important distinction between NAMBA's 1/10 scale rules and all other NAMBA classes is the direction of racing. The boats run the "true scale" direction - counterclockwise. Because this is the opposite of what modelers are accoustomed to, you tend to forget that the boats need turn fins on the "wrong" side as well as clockwise propeller rotation and right hand props. If the boat isn't symetrical, the offsets need to be opposite the other scale boat classes.

Lohring Miller

You can run it in sport 40 hydro if you want a 1/10 scale nitro. If you want electric cw turning hydro I dont see IMPBA getting into that class.

Definitely going to be electric on this project, and run the normal clock-wise course that we normally run...I want to be able to run while other boats are testing without creating any issues. We don't run electric at our club races, and don't see it happening in the near future since the gas and nitro turnout is so strong.

The older hulls tend to be symmetrical...From my limited knowledge, it's not until you get into more modern hulls that you get into asymmetrical sponson designs. Of course, these "kits" that are available may have some dihedral built in for counter-clockwise racing. I can always build it mirrored if that is the case.

Phil, are you saying you "don't see IMPBA getting into 1/10 scale FE" or "1/10 scale FE running counter-clockwise racing"?

It doesn't really matter to me. Experimenting with 1/10 and 1/8 scale FE has just been on my mind for a few years now. The time has come for me to get going on these projects (granted I have time).

Mike, thanks for the links.

I have ordered 2 kits from classic hydros http://www.classichydros.com/#!/~/category/id=4581162&offset=0&sort=normal I am getting the 102 and 105 hull kits as well as a couple of engine kits and a driver (guess I should have ordered two). I should get my 105 kit tomorrow and the rest next week since those items will need to come from the laser-cutter. Doug is really on the ball with getting my kit out and keeping me updated on the process!

I have been in contact with Mitch at Hydroscalecreations.com for the cowlings.

For now I have been looking for any 1/10 scale build threads that I can find. There are a couple at RCgroups.com and a lot of info at Rumrunner...unfortunately, the older threads have no pictures. I aslo have the Garry Finlay plans for the '69 Notre Dame Karelsen hull.

Planning on using SV27 motor, 4S, 3/16 flex drive, right turning hulls with provisions for back of sponson turn fin or inside sponson skid fin, and strut will be placed wherever I decide...possibly even...(gulp)...off the back of the transom.

Tim

Those specs are close to the NAMBA 1/10 scale boats, but you don't need a 3/16 cable; .150 with a 3/16 stub like the SV 27 is plenty. Be sure you use the correct cable lay for the chosen motor rotation. I can post some pictures of my Executone to show the internal layout.

Llohring Miller

there is a thread of a 10th scale ml boatworks hull by mike himself over on ose..... tried to put a link on here from ose but it wouldn't allow it for some reason.....its called 69 pay n pack hook tail shovelnose its on about page seven or 8 in the boat building boat section good pics

Mike also did a build thread here at inlwaters http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?showtopic=54292&hl=build the rest is here http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?showtopic=54517&hl=hooktail

Not sure why Mike left this forum...sure miss his build threads! I built an 8255 Gas Scale hull last year and have the Newton 103 kit Gas Scale which builds the Notre Dame, Madison, Eagle Electric etc. stepped sponson hulls. I did consider building the 1/10 version of the 103 but wanted to try the Classic Hydro kits first.

I was hoping to be happily building my first kit, but the USPS must have screwed up. Tracking showed that it was received, processed, and departed the origin...for some odd reason it returned to the origin. So now I may go to the garage in the upcoming zero degree weather and cut pieces out for the Finlay Karelson hull...probably not!!!

Below are pictures of my 1/10 scale Executone. It's a Brian Buaas carbon hull with modified sponsons. The whole hull is watertight with two taped compartments. The rear compartment seals the strut area that's the most likely to leak. The batteries are held by velcro so they can be moved for balance. I run Hyperion 2S 5000 packs through a Turnigy 120 Marine ESC. Remember the boat runs counterclockwise so everything looks backwards. The right hand prop is double nutted for extra security with right hand threads.

Lohring Miller

Back