IB3800 field report

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjslhill

45 cycles now... Power is down a bit but still MUCH better than GP-3700 pack flown back to back... Hot and humid today.. 92 degrees F.... Might be the hot sticky air too.. Almost to the magic 50 cycles.. No venting, no problems.. If I can get 50 cycles at these power levels (approx 175 amps) I am very happy..If not? I will demand a "deal" on replacement packs.. JUST KIDDING!...

This is a customer in F5B

Any boat reports out there?

Lower cost IB3600 newly released versions will arrive this week. These cells are the same size as GP3300's but have more voltage and capacity.

thanks,

Steve

Steve,

Any chance of knowing the IR in the cells....before and after the cycles?

I can get you new IR's off the matcher, I can't get the IR numbers on those packs posted. Unless, I get him to send it back in the future. I did not ask him to post this information, he did it on his own.

More of his claims....(no he is not sponsored)

"Here is what I am finding... Power is MUCH more than GP cells for about the first 50% of pack capacity.. GP's seem to hold voltage a LITTLE better as the pack is nearing depletion however the first 40 sec. of power from the IB'S annhilates the first TEN seconds of power from the GP'S.. I hope that makes sense"

Sounds like a win on the pond if it relates.......

thanks,

Steve

AlanN said:
Steve,
Any chance of knowing the IR in the cells....before and after the cycles?

105181[/snapback]

Yes, the pre-nationals thing was a shame. We could not get cells and it was bad for the racers and us.

With IB3800's, IB3600's and Ultra 3400's, there are cells all over the place here now.

You still can't hardly get GP3300's and GP3700's

bummer

Steve

AlanN said:
Thanks Steve.
Sounds good and you actually have them in stock!

105236[/snapback]

Hi Steve,

I have 28 of those IB3600 and out of those 28 I had to trash 6.

After initial test (just 2.5A load) all 28 cells showed capacities over 3600 mAh.

2 month later 6 of them had only 2800 mAh after just sitting on the shelf.

Any idea what happened to them?

Regards,

Marek

Did you store them un-charged? Otherwise, I have no idea.

Marek Pleskacz said:
Hi Steve,
I have 28 of those IB3600 and out of those 28 I had to trash 6.

After initial test (just 2.5A load) all 28 cells showed capacities over 3600 mAh.

2 month later 6 of them had only 2800 mAh after just sitting on the shelf.

Any idea what happened to them?

Regards,

Marek

105377[/snapback]

A little off the main topic, but are there any reports/tests for the IB1200? I have seen the discharge graph on your site Steve, but any real-world durability tests?

Thanks,

Blake

No, not yet...they have not been out long enough, sorry.

thanks

Steve

Blake Hedges said:
A little off the main topic, but are there any reports/tests for the IB1200? I have seen the discharge graph on your site Steve, but any real-world durability tests?
Thanks,

Blake

105521[/snapback]

More feedback....

"53 cycles now Steve!... the pack is still VERY strong.. I think it's safe to say now that the IB-3800 cell DOES hold up, at least as well, and by the looks of it,better than the GP'S... I am not much of a numbers man, proof is in the climb for me.. My IB-3800 pack has more cycles on it now than the GP-3700 pack and the IB beats it hands down, every flight, every climb. I wish some of these guys would show up here and just SEE the difference"

This guy is pulling 175 amps out of them...

sjslhill said:
More feedback....

"53 cycles now Steve!... the pack is still VERY strong.. I think it's safe to say now that the IB-3800 cell DOES hold up, at least as well, and by the looks of it,better than the GP'S... I am not much of a numbers man, proof is in the climb for me.. My IB-3800 pack has more cycles on it now than the GP-3700 pack and the IB beats it hands down, every flight, every climb. I wish some of these guys would show up here and just SEE the difference"

105696[/snapback]

[/quoIs Steve

Is Steve's name Nue?

No, Steve Neu I hear is just now testing them and we won't know his results until he writes some article and sells a magazine. This guy is Darrell Brown.

Jim Caldwell said:
sjslhill said:
More feedback....

105696[/snapback]

[/quoIs Steve

Is Steve's name Nue?

105727[/snapback]

My personal experience with the IB3800 hasn’t been as good as with the GP3700’s. There not terrible mind you but I don’t think they deliver the voltage as high as the GP’s do under prolonged load.

F5B isn't very analogous to how we use the cells in F/E. They use them in short bursts for 5 to 10 seconds.

I've had 3 cells vent. One in a 6 cell pack and two in a twelve cell pack.

Mark Anderson had 5 cells vent in a 12 cell pack on a Schulze charger at the Nats! I'm not sure what settings on the charger he was using though.

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry that you had problems Dan, you guys are the only people so far that have reported vented cells.

Steve......

Dan Proulx said:
My personal experience with the IB3800 hasn’t been as good as with the GP3700’s.  There not terrible mind you but I don’t think they deliver the voltage as high as the GP’s do under prolonged load.
F5B isn't very analogous to how we use the cells in F/E.  They use them in short bursts for 5 to 10 seconds.

I've had 3 cells vent.  One in a 6 cell pack and two in a twelve cell pack.

Mark Anderson had 5 cells vent in a 12 cell pack on a Schulze charger at the Nats!  I'm not sure what settings on the charger he was using though.

Dan

105794[/snapback]

Yep, racking them up fast.. perfect flying weather today... 57 cycles and no venting, slight loss of power, need to do a capacity check but I HATE to discharge NiMH unless I have to. The IB-3800's are holding up BETTER than GP's...

57 cycles and these are not venting......

thanks

Steve

Dan Proulx said:
Mark Anderson had 5 cells vent in a 12 cell pack on a Schulze charger at the Nats!  I'm not sure what settings on the charger he was using though.
Might have the threshold setting a little high or batteries that were not equalized before charging....

Jeff

sjslhill said:
Yep, racking them up fast.. perfect flying weather today... 57 cycles and no venting, slight loss of power, need to do a capacity check but I HATE to discharge NiMH unless I have to. The IB-3800's are holding up BETTER than GP's... 
57 cycles and these are not venting......

thanks

Steve

105811[/snapback]

Pretty Awesome Steve! ! !

Jeff

Dan Proulx said:
My personal experience with the IB3800 hasn’t been as good as with the GP3700’s.  There not terrible mind you but I don’t think they deliver the voltage as high as the GP’s do under prolonged load.
F5B isn't very analogous to how we use the cells in F/E.  They use them in short bursts for 5 to 10 seconds.

Dan

105794[/snapback]

Dan I ran 8 6cell packs and 4 7cell packs at the nats. And they were fast and lasted !~

The ib3800 have a flatter discharge curve. I also brought gp3700 packs to the nats. The gp3700 had a distinct drop in speed on my 4 minute boats at about 45 seconds into the race. My ib3800's didn't do that.

Steve,

Sounds like for endurance racing the IB's may work better for you.

For sprint racing though - I don't think they are as fast as the GP3700's. At least the packs I have don't seem to be.

Dan

Pagemaster said:
Dan Proulx said:

Dan

105794[/snapback]

Dan I ran 8 6cell packs and 4 7cell packs at the nats. And they were fast and lasted !~

The ib3800 have a flatter discharge curve. I also brought gp3700 packs to the nats. The gp3700 had a distinct drop in speed on my 4 minute boats at about 45 seconds into the race. My ib3800's didn't do that.

105827[/snapback]

Back