I want to try to build a rigger?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big roy

Hello all, for a winter project I was thinking of trying to build a rigger. The problem is I live in a condo and only have a workbench thats about 24" x 40" do I need more space?

Secondly, who makes a good decent kit? I am thinking I want the sponsons pre drilled and already built, so would this be like a 50% completed kit? just picking all your brains as I dont want a problem child boat kit but something that would run hard and true.

Third, I have a old unrun K&B 7.5 exhaust throttle engine that I could put a carb on and use to keep cost down although I am not sure if it is that easy to do.

I might even be willing to take on a unfinished project if the price was right, who knows? Just these Chitcago winters get long and cold, have to have something to take up the time

Roy

Last edited by a moderator:
One of Tom's Firefighters will be hard to beat for being reasonably priced, easy to build and easy to run. Nothing wrong with beginning with a K&B engine and an exhaust throttle. Properly set up they run good. :)

I once worked for a company called Union Special. They had a R&D facility in Rolling Meadows. Spent a lot of time there.

I worked for Union Special in Huntley IL. building sewing machines..................................A long time ago.

Paul

If you are looking to use that engine and want a rigger, I think the FF45 is the ONLY thing available in kit form.

If you want a .12 rigger I'm just finishing one up a new build. I'll have one new one for sale and my current boat that I run that does very well.

If you are looking to use that engine and want a rigger, I think the FF45 is the ONLY thing available in kit form.
If you want a .12 rigger I'm just finishing one up a new build. I'll have one new one for sale and my current boat that I run that does very well.

I do believe the Dumas Hawk has a 45 kit built boat too. More than one option and both are different style & appearance riggers.

Ok I looked again and the engine is a 6.5 K&B exhaust throttle, anyone still run them? I know I am being kind of cheap on trying to use it but until I can cough up the cash for a better one it will have to do. I see the FF is not offering kits at this time, bummer. Something will turn up somewhere, maybe on ebay or RCU, heck the snow isnt even here yet, lol but I am keeping my eyes open.

i tink twister riggers have kits , also for a 7.5 cc motor .. i will have to ask Jack .. i will let you know ..

Jeroen

I would consider a Road Runner. A great kit and it will run. Nothing worse than spending time building a boat and it is a dog even if it is CHEAP DOG!!!!!!!! It is far better to spend a little more money and get a good kit and then you will have great boat. It is not the motor that makes a great running boat, it is the BOAT!!!!!!!! This is 30 yrs of building just about every brand of boat from sport 21 to twin hydros. Gary

Ok I looked again and the engine is a 6.5 K&B exhaust throttle, anyone still run them? I know I am being kind of cheap on trying to use it but until I can cough up the cash for a better one it will have to do. I see the FF is not offering kits at this time, bummer. Something will turn up somewhere, maybe on ebay or RCU, heck the snow isnt even here yet, lol but I am keeping my eyes open.
Roy, What you have there is one mighty old engine!! but thats not necessarily bad, if its in decent running condition..that motor is the predessor to the 7.5 disk rotor inboards which can still be made to scream, but at a price if your not careful!!!Even stock , for fun runnin it would probably move a dumas hawk around to your satifaction, at least for a while.. As far as parts availibility for that engine, I really dont know how many of the 7.5 IB parts will interchange with your 6.5 and i do see 6.5s for sale on e-bay every once in a while...A very nice gentleman named Rod Gerharty would know as he is an absolute expert on K&B engines and is a member of this forum...if the exhaust throttle is the stock butterfly style they normally dont last too long due to wear, but you can put one of several K&B carbs on that engine to make it work....good luck and HAVE FUN, Bill

Back