Hull Designs

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murray

I bought a TS2 because my Maus is starting to crack at all the joins, and I have noticed some strange things. The hull is not semetrical, one side is about 15mm wider than the other, which inturn offsets the engine. I asked dad his opinion as he raced the real versions, and said occaisonally they would offset the engine for tight courses, but this is very, very rare and plus they won't turn in both directions. I am not sure if this is a ballsup or done on purpose. Also the bottom of the sponsons start to curve at about the half way mark. No wonder they bounce themselves silly and hook in so easy. Adding heaps of weight destroys the Tunnels purpose of flying and adds to the hooking by lowering the nose in the turns. My Maus handles really well, so I will try to make my own based on the Maus with some of my own ideas, out of foam and cover with fibreglass. I hope to meet Bob Trask soon from the Seaquest F1 team, who lives nearby for some input on my design plans and all the angles. If all else fails, I will have to fork out heaps of $'s for one from the US. With the exchange rate and postage, I'm hoping I get my ideas right. Sorry Mark. look forward to everyone's thoughts.

I bought a TS2 because my Maus is starting to crack at all the joins, and I have noticed some strange things. The hull is not semetrical, one side is about 15mm wider than the other, which inturn offsets the engine. I asked dad his opinion as he raced the real versions, and said occaisonally they would offset the engine for tight courses, but this is very, very rare and plus they won't turn in both directions. I am not sure if this is a ballsup or done on purpose. Also the bottom of the sponsons start to curve at about the half way mark. No wonder they bounce themselves silly and hook in so easy. Adding heaps of weight destroys the Tunnels purpose of flying and adds to the hooking by lowering the nose in the turns. My Maus handles really well, so I will try to make my own based on the Maus with some of my own ideas, out of foam and cover with fibreglass. I hope to meet Bob Trask soon from the Seaquest F1 team, who lives nearby for some input on my design plans and all the angles. If all else fails, I will have to fork out heaps of $'s for one from the US. With the exchange rate and postage, I'm hoping I get my ideas right. Sorry Mark. look forward to everyone's thoughts.
the ts2 is not a bad hull for the money but if it is at all possible get an HTB from Mark Hopper @ htbboats.com Mark is a great guy and realy good to work with. you will not be disappointed.....................Scott

Murray,

mate, a couple of things to consider. Most importantly, these boats are not F1 tunnel boats, they are model tunnel boats that look like an F1 (in some cases). The boats perform a lot better than real F1 boats when you compare the scale to the ultimate speeds achieved, that introduces a whole bunch of challenges.

That said, lets discuss a couple of your points.

1) the motor/transom is designed to be offset, you will find that other model tunnel designers have done similar things.

2) on your comment that the boat wont turn in both directions, you are kinda correct, the boat will actually turn better right, thats the direction we race.

3) When we have built out TS2's and tuned other guys boats, we have not really worried about how much weight. A heavy model tunnel boat is not necessarily a bad thing. My .21 boats weigh in between 5.5 to 6 lbs.

I would be focused on where you place the weight. I try to get the balance right by placing weight around the CG and then just use trim weights further forward for tuning etc.

There are plenty of threads on this site re the TS2, although I no longer own one, I know of some that perform very well. Talk to Craig Murphy (murph) on this site, he has the fastest TS2 race boat that I have competed against. I am sure that he will help you out.

At the end of the day you will get what you pay for, the TS2 is a good boat for the $$$$$. If you want a great .21 boat, order and patiently wait for a Lynx, if you cant wait, get an HTB, also a great boat.

If you would like to come back to me I will also give you some ideas on how to get your TS2 flying. Dont give up on it just yet!

Regards

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Murray,

Something that hasen't been mentioned are the stumble blocks.

Does your boat have it's stumble blocks properly installed in the tunnel?

They're there to aid in the turns and to reduce "hooking".

Just a thought.

It is important to understand that there are considerable differences between RC boats and lifesize. Input from someone who designs only lifesize raceboats may lead you in the wrong direction. That is why you see things on the bottom of RC boats that you don't see on lifesize boats. Unlike lifesize F1 racing, in RC you can buy an entry level product or you can buy a hull that was designed for the serious racer.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Murray

The offset that the TS2 has, well never heard of it on the TS2 tunnel.

The Villain, a very nice design by Grimracer ( MIke Z.) is specifically designed with an offset of the centre part. And this Villain is a good running tunnel boat.

Ronald.

Latest posts

Back