Hull Cleaning

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey all,

Just got my first "used" boat via UPS......needless to say it arrived in the box upside down, and hardened drops of something ( I assume fuel) were all over the hull. I've tried every cleaner in the house, soft scrub, and even Meguiars buffing compound-to no avail. The seller swears it left his house clean, but he also said it had no scratches or dents :( It showed up with quite a few dings, including badly bent turn fins, a bad nick at the bottom of the rudder, and other "surprises". Anyway...... any thoughts on cleaning the hull? I can scrape it off with a fingernail, so the gelcoat isn't affected, but it would take weeks that way.

Thanks

Doug

another thing that works real well is dry cleaning fluid "perchloroethylene". you can probably get some for free from your local cleaners.

Have him put in an insurance claim for it!

If you get really desperate and your brave enough, Jasco works great. But be worn it I'll eat evrything.

Honda sprey cleaner and polish works well and it doesn't effect the paint. Also A product called called "DUCKY" you can find it at checker, schucks, Kragen NAPA wal-mart any place like that and it's for getting water spots off and will not harm gel or clear coat.

WD-40 isn't working at all, time for more drastic measures. This is something other than water spots, because I can scrape through it with my fingernail...it would just take forever doing it that way though.

You might want to try the liquid cig lighter fluid (naphtha) or even MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone ).. If you use either of these, do it in a well ventilated area and try it on a hidden spot first.. MEK will clean just about anything you need to - I've used MEK to get dried K&B Epoxy paint off the ole spray gun. If you know how hard K&B paint gets, you'll know what I mean.. If the boat is ABS, I wouldn't use MEK..

Mark..

NITRO On a Rag works good, then a spray cleaner.

I have used a marine hull cleaner also, Not as abrasive as rubbing compound, but takes little scratch and **** off.

****...finally gettin whatever it is off but finding that it has eaten through the gelcoat leaving shallow craters :( Could that have been Nitro fuel sitting on the hull for a week or maybe after run oil?

Mark speaks the truth...MEK is some nasty stuff. When I worked as a painter in a chemical plant, we used it to clean two and three part epoxies from the spray equipment. I had a small coffee can about half full of the stuff that I left the nozzles and needles in overnight. One day I decided to leave in a screwdriver that I opened paint cans with. The next morning, the handle was gone! It had melted and slid down the shank and was a blob at the bottom of the can! :eek:

I bet it would make short work of an ABS hull.

yea e-bay can be a real gamble. I still haven't managed to get my engine running.

proly just the glowplug lighter tho. I mean, it's a two-stroke. what can go wrong realy?

Craters eh? sounds nasty. so what now? sand it all down and re-paint?

Not likely....I'll just live with it. It still looks okay unless you are right on top of it, the white hides alot of the imperfections , and I'm sure being new at this I will add to them SOON :) I love speed so much that I'd enjoy a coffee can if it was doing 60MPH+!!!

Back