HOW TO SCALE UP A OUTRIGGER

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc Ohler

Hey Guy's, can any body out there tell me how to upsize a rigger from .21 to .90?

Thank's, Marc

Marc, there is no good way to "scale up" an outrigger...the amount one dimension needs to change (in percentage) is not the same as another dimension needs to change. For example, you may want to double the length, but you probably don't want to double the sponson ride surface, ride height, tub width, etc.

If you are looking to design your own boat (this is a GREAT idea...I think most everyone should do it at least once. You will learn A LOT) I would suggest you start looking at some of the available hulls in the size you want to build and get some dimensions from them. You will find a range for each dimension and so there will be plenty of room to make "your own" boat.

Glenn

Last edited by a moderator:
Marc, there is no good way to "scale up" an outrigger...the amount one dimension needs to change (in percentage) is not the same as another dimension needs to change. For example, you may want to double the length, but you probably don't want to double the sponson ride surface, ride height, tub width, etc.
If you are looking to design your own boat (this is a GREAT idea...I think most everyone should do it at least once. You will learn A LOT) I would suggest you start looking at some of the available hulls in the size you want to build and some dimensions from them. You will find a range for each dimension and so there will be plenty of room to make "your own" boat.

Glenn
Well said Glenn! a straight up scale up does not work. tub sides would be too big, you would have like a 1" ride height. You would need to adjust a lot of things, to the point it would just not be worth it. You do learn a ton designing your own. I have a gas rigger plan that would be very close. about the only change needed might be tub height is a little more with a gas engine. I'm planning a 1 day after thanksgiving day sale :)

Last edited:
Well I do scale up and down on differant boats. I have been drawing boats on Autocad for 20 years. This makes it easy to scale up or down. Ajustments do have to be made like hole sizes and holes distance from each other. I do make ride ajustments to the drawing if it is needed but most of the time. I do not change them unless I want a differant height. It is a lot easier to change a drawing than start all over. The profiles I posted on the Sport 12 hydro only took 15 minutes to scale from my Sport 21 hydro and post on IW.

Well I do scale up and down on differant boats. I have been drawing boats on Autocad for 20 years. This makes it easy to scale up or down. Ajustments do have to be made like hole sizes and holes distance from each other. I do make ride ajustments to the drawing if it is needed but most of the time. I do not change them unless I want a differant height. It is a lot easier to change a drawing than start all over. The profiles I posted on the Sport 12 hydro only took 15 minutes to scale from my Sport 21 hydro and post on IW.
Guy's, thank's for the info.I will draw up the .20, and start from there. I do have some .90's to compare to .I guess I'm trying not copy someone else's hard work.

Marc :)

for us people that arn't smart enough to use or no how to do auto cad master cam ect.. find someone that has a copy machine.. take your template and copy it in sections.. you can down size or up size it to what ever % you want. i am working on a project right now and that is how i do it.. once you get your sections sized down to your liking tape them together and transfer that pattern onto a pc of gerolite or nice thick hard wood and that will make a good template.

works for me

chris

for us people that arn't smart enough to use or no how to do auto cad master cam ect.. find someone that has a copy machine.. take your template and copy it in sections.. you can down size or up size it to what ever % you want. i am working on a project right now and that is how i do it.. once you get your sections sized down to your liking tape them together and transfer that pattern onto a pc of gerolite or nice thick hard wood and that will make a good template.
works for me

chris
he said thick and hard in the same line..lol , sorry woody i had to do it..lol

term

Guy's, thank's for the info.I will draw up the .20, and start from there. I do have some .90's to compare to .I guess I'm trying not copy someone else's hard work.

What Chris said works very well also. Where Autocad helps is when placing holes for boom tubes, motor mounts, and placing bulkheads and just making sure everything fits. I myself only draw in 2D and most of the time I only use 1D. I have a gift to see things in 1D and 2D and then make them 3D in my mind. Some people say that I am OCD or is that DUM - LOL who knows but it works for me.

Also don't be afraid to try your on. There is not much of a way that you could copy someone. Why because a angle is a angle and a straight line is a straight line. All the other boats have their differant lines but there running surface is close to each other.

What Chris said works very well also. Where Autocad helps is when placing holes for boom tubes, motor mounts, and placing bulkheads and just making sure everything fits. I myself only draw in 2D and most of the time I only use 1D. I have a gift to see things in 1D and 2D and then make them 3D in my mind. Some people say that I am OCD or is that DUM - LOL who knows but it works for me.

Also don't be afraid to try your on. There is not much of a way that you could copy someone. Why because a angle is a angle and a straight line is a straight line. All the other boats have their differant lines but there running surface is close to each other.
I have a gift.........OCD or is that DUM. Which one was it when you sent Doc T deep in turn two with his twin in Charleston. :lol: :lol: :lol: Just breaking your shoes Mark, loved hanging with you guys at the race. :D :D B)

I have a gift.........OCD or is that DUM. Which one was it when you sent Doc T deep in turn two with his twin in Charleston. :lol: :lol: :lol: Just breaking your shoes Mark, loved hanging with you guys at the race. :D :D B)
That's a good question. I told him to take the same line on the lap he had just done and he cut his line in half. I was still trying to get a grip myself on where Jose boat was at. So I guess it was the latter. LOL

You know that when running those boats you have to be on your game. And we had not ran a boat since June.

works for me

chris
Chris:

I was just like you on Autocad. BUT, I decided that I needed to know how to use it. I used to do the copier trick too, but Cad is SO MUCH BETTER.

I took a beginning course on Autocad at a local University and I wonder why I was so stupid that I didn't do it before. I have spent 30 years in the dark ages and could have been using it a long time ago.

I now use it to make head buttons of different configurations that have the precise same volume by using Cad. I have documented my hydro with a detailed drawing and now can make any size boat that I want. I use it to make my turn fins fit any boat by having the same area presented to the water. I can define the center of pressure of the turn fin and set it precisely on any boat. I just designed a new engine mount for a 90 boat that I am building. MANY, MANY ways to use it I am sure.

The ways to use Autocad are endless and I am super happy that I finally got around to learing how to use it.

Maybe others can suggest other ways to use Autocad in our hobby and it will provide ideas for the rest of us.

Even an OLD DOG can learn new tricks.....

Marty Davis

It is a lot easier to change a drawing than start all over.
Lol. Spoken like a true AutoCAD professional. I'm a civil engineer. That's what I do for my 8-5, modify drawings. Except I'm drawing Subdivisions, Stormwater Facilities & structures, Pavement sections, Roadway Profiles and Building sections. I leave the boat designing to you guys who know what you're doing. Cheers!

Travis

Lol. Spoken like a true AutoCAD professional. I'm a civil engineer. That's what I do for my 8-5, modify drawings. Except I'm drawing Subdivisions, Stormwater Facilities & structures, Pavement sections, Roadway Profiles and Building sections. I leave the boat designing to you guys who know what you're doing. Cheers!

Travis

You do Civil engineering and design too huh? Autocad does make things so much easier!

I think you can buy a package of Autocad Lite they call it for very little money. Or you maybe able to download a sample package that will do all that is needed to design boats in 2 D. For those that are drawing impaired. That means a side view, top view, and a end view. The end view can be used for differant sections of the tub. These type drawings are standard drawings used in drafting from the old days of paper, T squares and triangles. Anyone with any kind of drawing skills from school can draw with Autocad. I learned drafting in high school and when the first Autocad package came out bought it and learn to use it on my own with no training. Never could afford to buy the digital table but did buy a 32" x 48" HP plotter. When making drawings if you do not have a plotter most printers companies do have large plotters or can print your drawing files on to paper for very little money. Most of the drawing entries back then were keyboard entries. And those keyboard entries still work in the new packages and I still use them at times. One of the best things to use in Autocad is a Trackball point device. Once you get the hang of a trackball you will throw the mouse pointing device away. The reason is the mouse gets run all over the desk drawing and the trackball will set in one place.

The nice thing like Marty said is it helps with placing holes to mount turnfins, motor mounts, hardware, or anything else that is needed to pinpoint. I can draw a motor mount with the hole placement dimensions , take the drawing to the mill and make the mount with a perfect fit. Now by blocking the differant views of the motor mount in the drawing file you can place the motor mount views in the differant views of the tub and ajust to make sure that everything fits around it. By making a simple drawing of the motor into the drawing file you can place it in the mount and make sure that everything fits around it like the belt under the flywheel. How many times have you set the motor to low in the tub that the flywheel has to be cut to get a belt to work. Once these differant things are drawn they will become tools to be used in other drawings. I could keep on talking about the power of Autocad but the main thing is the eraser works very well and you don't waste paper.

I think you can buy a package of Autocad Lite they call it for very little money. Or you maybe able to download a sample package that will do all that is needed to design boats in 2 D. For those that are drawing impaired. That means a side view, top view, and a end view. The end view can be used for differant sections of the tub. These type drawings are standard drawings used in drafting from the old days of paper, T squares and triangles. Anyone with any kind of drawing skills from school can draw with Autocad. I learned drafting in high school and when the first Autocad package came out bought it and learn to use it on my own with no training. Never could afford to buy the digital table but did buy a 32" x 48" HP plotter. When making drawings if you do not have a plotter most printers companies do have large plotters or can print your drawing files on to paper for very little money. Most of the drawing entries back then were keyboard entries. And those keyboard entries still work in the new packages and I still use them at times. One of the best things to use in Autocad is a Trackball point device. Once you get the hang of a trackball you will throw the mouse pointing device away. The reason is the mouse gets run all over the desk drawing and the trackball will set in one place.The nice thing like Marty said is it helps with placing holes to mount turnfins, motor mounts, hardware, or anything else that is needed to pinpoint. I can draw a motor mount with the hole placement dimensions , take the drawing to the mill and make the mount with a perfect fit. Now by blocking the differant views of the motor mount in the drawing file you can place the motor mount views in the differant views of the tub and ajust to make sure that everything fits around it. By making a simple drawing of the motor into the drawing file you can place it in the mount and make sure that everything fits around it like the belt under the flywheel. How many times have you set the motor to low in the tub that the flywheel has to be cut to get a belt to work. Once these differant things are drawn they will become tools to be used in other drawings. I could keep on talking about the power of Autocad but the main thing is the eraser works very well and you don't waste paper.

Mark:

You can go to Office Depot and take a CD with your drawing and they will make a blueprint full size for you very inexpensively.

Marty Davis

Travis
A civil engineer, huh? That brings up an old defense industry joke.
Do you know the difference between Civil Engineers and Aerospace/Mechanical Engineers? Civil Engineers design targets...........LOL

Travis
A civil engineer, huh? That brings up an old defense industry joke.
Do you know the difference between Civil Engineers and Aerospace/Mechanical Engineers? Civil Engineers design targets...........LOL
That's a good one.

Latest posts

Back