how much is enough

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitronewbie

Running a sport 40 hydro with an OPS 45 how big of fuel tank is needed to run

warm up and racing laps?? Thanks

how can 10 oz be enough? i was always told it's better to a little too much than to have too little and can't finsh the race. does it depend on where you run? in my mac 45 if i run 10 oz i may not finish we run 3/4 mill on the 30 sec clock and when the race starts you have to run 5 laps then if you cut a buoy then 6 laps!!! I can't see runnig 10 oz and finishing the race. i will have to try that this season. here in dist 1 sport 21 run 10oz. maybe it's my motor thats why i can't see that happening.

Well you won't catch me going out in a forty anything with only 10 oz of fuel on board. My sport 40 with MAC 45 has a 16 oz tank. I'll go in shortly after start of pit time, fiddle with the needle if I need to, establish myself in lane one & get "in the groove". Mill time, 6 laps of racing & a cool down lap & I'll have about 2 oz left. :blink:

I race against Don in sport40 and around here in Dist 12 you will not finish a race with 10 oz of fuel. Go with a 14 oz Sullivan flextank with a 2oz hopper tank this will cover the start,mill time,5 or 6 laps,and the cool down lap.

That is one of the mysteries of this hobby, What works for one guy does not necessarily will work for someone else. Life in the fast lane. :rolleyes:

boaterbill said:
That is one of the mysteries of this hobby, What works for one guy does not necessarily will work for someone else. Life in the fast lane. :rolleyes:
Very, very true. :) Now it sure would suck to have someone set thier boat up thinking 10 oz will get it done, go to a race & find out it won't. :( Better to have a little too much than not enough. :eek: And if you use plastic tanks we are talking about what ...$3?? So you can change it later AFTER you see how things work at a race :blink: Plus nobody says you have to fill it up all the way to begin with. Besides, how many times have you seen those race conditions (windy,rough water) when that couple extra ounces of fuel helps you finish with the extra weight & slower running speeds. Not a sermon, just a thought ......... or two! :D :D :D

I have been running a sport 40 with an OPS 45 in it for a long time.

All I have ever used was a single twelve ounce tank.

I wait one light then go and it never uses much more than half a tank.

OPS 45's dont waste alot of fuel like the Macs seem too.

I run an OPS67 pipe and a ART carb with 410 bore.

Hope this helps

Tim

i love my mac 45 the extra fuel it uses is priceless to the amount of power it creates. i am going to trry different fuel set up the season but i am not running in any race wtih 10 oz of fuel no matter what anyone says. it is true what boater bill said " what work for one guy doesn't work for others". that my 2 cents

Last edited by a moderator:
I was not putting down the Mac 45 I was simply stating a fact.

They seem to waste alot of fuel.

Tim

Don

Picco, Mac, Nelson, K&B you name it. I don't pay any special attention to the clock unless the water is really rough then I wait just to keep from running in the slop any longer than needed not because of fuel limitations. The only time I have worried about fuel is when running conservatively with a big lead (only go fast enough to win) And it has never been more than me being nervous, I have not run out of fuel. Normally I run a couple of hard laps after the heat before bringing the boat in cause its so much fun to drive. I also use carbs with no low speed needle so its pumping fuel all the time.

Mark

Before you race it, go out with a stop watch and see if you can finish the heat. Nothing to it. ;) Like Rod says test test test some more.

Latest posts

Back