How many LIPO batteries?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Bullard

How many LIPO batteries will I need to run this new FE motor?

KIMG1221.JPG

We just unloaded this motor a bit ago. I will be driving a pump at a power plant.
It is 600 HP, 1750 RPM, or what you would call a 4 pole. The problem is the running voltage of this motor. The voltage of this motor is 4160 VAC. Lots of LIPO's. LOL

Mark, on a serious note...
What do they use as a motor starter for voltage this high ? Is it like standard across the line contactor? Part winding start ?
Or are they running it with a VFD ??

What ever it is,,, it must be huge !!

Mark, on a serious note...
What do they use as a motor starter for voltage this high ? Is it like standard across the line contactor? Part winding start ?
Or are they running it with a VFD ??

What ever it is,,, it must be huge !!
This motor will go across the line with a starter. Some of these large starters have a high voltage transformer to start out at a lower voltage and then step up to the line voltage. We call them auto transformer starters. You have to understand the amperes is not that high just the voltage. The higher the voltage the lower running amps.

That's a baby. "Big" motors start at a couple thousand HP.

I think this one was about 3000.

The REAL big ones are the ones that push giant ships through the water. Even this guy is tiny in comparison.

IjUH7Qw.jpg

That's a baby. "Big" motors start at a couple thousand HP.

I think this one was about 3000.

The REAL big ones are the ones that push giant ships through the water. Even this guy is tiny in comparison.

IjUH7Qw.jpg

Your right it is a baby to some motors. And is a nice motor you have pictured. No doubt in a motor shop. where are you located?

That's in the bay area CA. I left that shop a few weeks ago and the wife and I moved north to WA.

It's a wonder that you can have motor shops in CA. I am located in north Alabama. It's a family business and I am one of the family. LOL
I grew up in a motor shop and my dad started me winding motors when I was ten. He paid me .25 cents an hour.

Are you going to work for another shop in WA?

If you ever have a chance to tour Mark's facility you will come away with a better appreciation for the world of electricity. Mark's knowledge of this industry is really something to listen to if you want to learn a little about his world.

Mark, haven't started looking for work yet, I decided to take at least a few weeks off to get the new house set up and give myself some RC shop time... a bit of a welcome break from the daily grind. I'm a machinist/welder/fabricator by trade, and will definitely include motor/rotating equipment shops in my job search. We'll see what's available here in the next few weeks.

Mark, haven't started looking for work yet, I decided to take at least a few weeks off to get the new house set up and give myself some RC shop time... a bit of a welcome break from the daily grind. I'm a machinist/welder/fabricator by trade, and will definitely include motor/rotating equipment shops in my job search. We'll see what's available here in the next few weeks.

I hear you. Should have moved to north Alabama. I would have put you to work. I am have to all of the things you just listed plus anything else that comes thru the door. But it is nice to be able to get ready for a race and just start prepping my boats. I also make a lot of my own parts for my boats. Plus we have the who's who of boat racers here. I other words we go real fast.

As nice as that sounds, I need salt water and mountains nearby, and I'm not a racer. If I end up in Alabama though, I'll let you know!

Back