How do I separate a press-stuck prop?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClayGlover

Well, I finally ran the 45 rigger the other day and it was a hoot, took me a while to dial in the mac. My motor/pipe has a very fine line between to rich and destroyed plug, very sensitive needle man! heh..I think I'll drill out the stinger in the pipe 3/8" to relieve a little back-pressure. anyhow, I put a new prop on the drive dog and it was a little tight, so I said ah well, I'll just tighten 'er down with a prop nut instead of cleaning up the slot in the prop a little first. Now my delemma is that the prop dog is permanently tightened and machine tapered including the setscrew...in otherwords I can't just loosen it and slide them both off to wiggle them apart. It's a brand new $40 prop and I don't want to bend it by banging and such, but on the other hand, I'd like to try a few props without replacing the whole shaft and dog. I've pulled on it using a rag and pushing with my thumb (kinda like a syringe plunging motion) as hard as I can with out budging it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

here's a pic...don't mind the stank sneakers ;D-

so you have the prop stuck on the shaft..... well try to get a screw driver between the prop and dog and twist it off....

or possibly try heat

If that doesn't work, get a small gear puller that is used on the R/C cars and trucks used to pull off the pinion gear.

there's no space to slip in a little screwdriver, maybe I'll just create one. I'll try to locate a little gear puller first, I'm sure that will come in handy sometime again.

Clay

With a rag on one hand and a coin in the other (nickel) place the coin on the end of the prop shaft. Just like you would take one off anyway (push with your thumb and pull with your fingers).

You will get the idea..

O yea the coin is just a support for your thumb

Grim

well, after finessing with a little screwdriver and a big ass hammer, I got it ;D thanks for the suggestions buds

If you ever need a little puller go to the parts store and get a battery terminal puller, they are cheap !! and handy. And if you need a flywheel puller get a power steering pulley puller , you can get both at Harbor Freight for 10.00.

Another neat little puller can be found at hobby shops that carry model railroad supplies...they are used for pulling train wheels from the axle. They're perfect for pulling gears from electric motors and other little bitty stuff.

Latest posts

Back