hot mono

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noodles

Who's got the hot ticket? I'm in the market for a 21 size mono, for oval racing. Who's building the warlock, have you got a web address or a link?

Thank you

Joe

This is going to get good, it's like the Chevy vs. Ford thing! :)

Take your pick, Seaducer, Microburst, Speedmaster 21 and Cal-Craft seem to be the Big 4. I'm sure that others have their favorites also.

What it ends up by coming down to is what you like and how well it's set up as any of these can win on any given day.

:rolleyes: "Warlock" built by Jon Garrel . No longer builds them. Now Chris Wood builds " Blackbird" of www.woodrcboatracingproducts. ;)

This is going to get good, it's like the Chevy vs. Ford thing! :) Take your pick, Seaducer, Microburst, Speedmaster 21 and Cal-Craft seem to be the Big 4. I'm sure that others have their favorites also.

What it ends up by coming down to is what you like and how well it's set up as any of these can win on any given day.
All of these are good running boats. My personal favorite is the Speedmaster. As for the Warlock, it's not a mono. The original looked much like a scaled down Crapshooter. The latest version Jon built is now being built by the Props4U gang. I saw one at Toledo and it was a fine looking boat. If I was in the market for another rigger, I would seriously consider it.

The Wild Thing is a great handling boat. Two members in here, Dave Homer and Wade Swatzell have each got ones that I've seen running. They do handle like Seaducer's and Speedmaster's in my opinion, on the wet side but do handle the rough water very well.

Yes, it was designed by John Finch, also a member in here and is from the www.rcstore.com site.

If you are an accomplished scratch builder, or have successfully built a few wooden kits, then the Wild Thing is definitely worth considering. The design and construction is pretty simple, but it is very easy to introduce warps and other errors in construction which could wind up as a scrap pile, or the subject of a LOT of sanding....

When I built mine, I laminated some carbon fiber on the bottom sheets and clamped them flat. Also, instead of setting the bulkheads on the building table as shown in the article, I took some 3/4" pine and made a solid, straight building jig. The rest of the construction goes pretty much by how the article explains it.

I made a couple of mods to the deck/radio box to set my pipe lower in the boat. Also I couldn't make a plastic fuel tank fit in it... Tanks-2U made me a custom tank that sits on the right side (I made a removable deck panel to install/service it). They should still have my plug.

The hull will trim without trim tabs if you work with the trailing edge of the hull and set the CG a bit forward. Make absolutely sure the bottom is FLAT... If I were to go racing, I would definitely go with an adjustable strut instead of the fixed driveline.

I actually blew up the RCBM plans with the idea to build a 45 size, but unfortunately life and finances pretty much took me out of racing....

OK David you got me hooked was going to do them last winter but did JDs 28/30 WOFs an OBNuts pictures in stead have you any pictures of your jig or mods an what hard wear did you use

OK John F your turn would you change any thing on the plans or to the build up to day an to the hard wear

thank you David :D an any one else that WILL JUMP IN the water is still a little cold but it is soft now :rolleyes:

Marty

I don't have any pics handy, but give me a week or so I can get some. I have to take some pics of my wife's crafts so she can sell em on Ebay, I can fill up the rest of the roll on the boat. I made my own engine mount from angle aluminum and rubber bushings, and I found some 6061 aluminum tubing in the hobby shop I used for the driveline. Just ran the 1/4" brass inside that and used the Speedmaster bearing. Wound up using the Speedmaster rudder I had on my 3.5 Hawk, and just fabricated a mount from angle. When I post the pictures, it will all become clear as mud.....

Last spring someone took some video of the boat running, and posted it on RC Flix... Might have to dig for it, but you can see how mine ran.

Hope this works. I've enjoyed my Wild Thing. A steady 47 mph first thing out of the shop.

I guess it didn't work. Tried to post some pictures but no go. I do boats and airplanes, not computers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back