hook on the bottom of the hull

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys. ML Boatworks will be kitting different versions of the boat. It went together really easy with the jig that comes with the kit.

Doug......Get the rico tuned up! Mine is race ready. I made the mods I talked to you about and the boat is ballistic. We will surely have some fun in that class if we can get to the same race together in 2014.

Don't let the smoke out,

John

Note, It is the natural tendency of fiberglass to hook at the transom of a model boat as it cures. I know this because I was once a model boat manufacturer. Controlling the amount of hook is not easy. A little hook in the right place is less drag than trim tabs. I have held every single mono SAW record in IMPBA over the years and can tell you from experience trim tabs slow a boat as much as 8 mph when going for records, but a nice flat and true bottom can go even faster if you use the rudder and strut to adjust the ride without tabs or a hook.Also, A pad is legal on a mono at the keel so long as it ends at the transom with no steps. A mono is defined as a boat that rides on a continuous wetted surface.A center pad can work well on SAW boats but can make the boat track unevenly and skip out when cornering in the heat racing application. In SAW application it can be sanded in controlling the ride attitude of the boat much like a hook or trim tabs. I usually add a bunch of fiberglass cloth and resin inside the hull at the keel so that I can sand a pad into the hull when at the lake adjusting the ride of a SAW boat.
if I remember correctly, my old Youngblood had a pad on the bottom.

Back