Home brew CF tune pipe

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You would have to find the right type of wax. The stuff that we use at work to coat paperboard for bacon cartons has a low melting point, around 150 degrees. Curing epoxy might melt it. This is a paraffin type so the wax at the Grocery store wouldn't cut it.

A two-piece pipe would definitely be the easiest way to go.

If you ever get to the point where it might become a production item, I'd like to buy 2 or 3 of them myself!

****, where's Jim Irwin when we need him? :D

Ron,

I would be glad to give you 2 or 3 if you would help me come up with some dimensions. I need a few pipes to test on my Sirio .15

Other than car pipes we don't have alot of pipes to try for the .12 and .15 motors. So lets make some!

-MikeP

I've got a few pipes that I can give you the measurements from. Do you need the ones for the Mac pipe? I've got a new one downstairs to replace the one that is sitting in the bottom of a pond outside of Toledo. :blink:

We really do need some decent pipes for the small block engines besides the car and truck ones. The ROAR restrictions put a damper on what we really need.

I would think that if you had a suitable metal pipe that ran well on the desired engine you could use it for a "plug". The volume of the moulded pipe will be slightly greater due to wall thickness, but that may not matter. Simply put an insert into the stinger of the finished product to get the proper diameter as that is probably more critical than a small volume variance. Yes I believe Jim Irwin did a lot of work on composit pipes years ago, but they fell by the wayside. Most likely because of temperature restrictions.

I would think that if you had a suitable metal pipe that ran well on the desired engine you could use it for a "plug". The volume of the moulded pipe will be slightly greater due to wall thickness, but that may not matter. Simply put an insert into the stinger of the finished product to get the proper diameter as that is probably more critical than a small volume variance. Yes I believe Jim Irwin did a lot of work on composit pipes years ago, but they fell by the wayside. Most likely because of temperature restrictions.

Ron,

I have a MAC pipe, (I probably have tried as many pipes as you have).

I have the pipe design program that propjocky sent me. I would like to try and design a pipe that matches the motor, the program needs measurements taken from the motor for a starting point. Then you make adjustments if you want wide band, high end or low end torque.

Also one of the inputs is RPM, I am not sure what to put in there. I asume it is a target RPM that the motor developes max power. How do I know?

Mike

Resonance is a consideration. That seems to be the reason for the popularity of steel (as opposed to aluminum) pipes on gas engines. They also leave a nicer inpression of your finger print if you accidently touch a hot one (who in their right mind would do that on purpose? :rolleyes: ). Anyway I would guess that a CF pipe would be weak in that area. The upside is they should be very consistant regards "working temperature" which controlls the speed of sound which affects the timing of the shock wave... "and the knee bone is connected to the thigh bone..." Shucks. You get the idea B)

If you are looking for a foam plug, you might want to check out your local Wal-Mart, Michael's, Frank's or a general craft type store. They carry foam in all sizes and shapes.. One might be able to create a foam plug pipe, wrap the CF around and then disolve the foam plug. Just a thought..

Mark.

Latest posts

Back