High mileage engine help needed

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnissen

My son is attending school up in Indiana (Rose Hullman). As part of his extracuricular activities he is on the high mileage team. College teams compete to see how far they can make a gallon of gas stretch. They are using a Briggs and straton block and have it sleaved down and run a Yamaha chain driven head on the beast. Not high power but efficient. I think with a stock 25cc Honda four stroke the vehicle was getting something like 1200MPG. The new motor is hopefuly going to push them into the 2000+ range.

Well I get a call taoday asking for advice. The guy working on the motor seems to not have a clue. The piston feels very tight in the bore and my son is trying to help the engine team out by locating someone with a good hone to properly get the fit right. Anyone in the Indy or western Indanna area willing to lend some advice? I have never needed to use a Sunnen hone on my gas motors so I really don't have any idea of what may be needed. The whole thing is on a shoestring budget with college kids doing all the work with just enough knowledge to be dangerous. Not a good combo!

What he is looking for is someone who may lend some small engine advice and possibly have the capability to hone the sleve to the piston diamter to get a decent fit. Call 512-689-4390 and ask for Nathan or email [email protected]

http://www.shell.com/global/environment-society/ecomarathon/events/americas.html

Jim try to get hold of Marty Davis he knows a guy that actually has a masters on small engines I think his name was O'Brian and beleive he is over in England now. Any way check with Marty.

Back