help on 12 jap rigger

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gadjit69

Supporting Member
hi,i been having trouble with my 12 jap hydro.i have posted my video on here awhile back call...share my jap 12 videos.i was testing diffrent props and head combos,the follwing day afther them videos,i went out to test and must of hit something like a turtle or fish.it ran up the bank and did only minor damage.the rudder was gone and put a couple scapes.replaced the rudder with a mini rudder(speedmaster)and from there on had trouble...i was runing a car motor ,due to i could not get my novarossi t 12lt 5 port to run well.the one i was runing was a 3 port.can some one tell me is the nova 12 LT is a long stroke?could i change it out for 3 port?i am going to install the octura rudder that was working well to test again,seem the car timming was working better than the marine timming,thanks for reading

http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?showtopic=40800

Last edited by a moderator:
Gadgit, I have ran both of the motors you have and have found that it takes some time for the 12LT to break in and build some power. With a speedmaster mini you may have to much rudder in the water, I have mine about 3/4" below the prop,some set it a little deeper. Just keep running the 12lt and make sure it is getting up to temp and it should get better and better.

I use the zippkits rudder on all my jae's. seems to be the right length. I can understand where your comming from, in one of my engines (car) the boat runs like a demon with the stock timings. Now when I put a raised timing sleve in it, the engine wouldnt pull the same prop, I switched to the nr12 5pt and it wouldnt pull that prop either. I put the car engine back in with a stock sleve and it went back to running at its best.

hi,i been having trouble with my 12 jap hydro.i have posted my video on here awhile back call...share my jap 12 videos.i was testing diffrent props and head combos,the follwing day afther them videos,i went out to test and must of hit something like a turtle or fish.it ran up the bank and did only minor damage.the rudder was gone and put a couple scapes.replaced the rudder with a mini rudder(speedmaster)and from there on had trouble...i was runing a car motor ,due to i could not get my novarossi t 12lt 5 port to run well.the one i was runing was a 3 port.can some one tell me is the nova 12 LT is a long stroke?could i change it out for 3 port?i am going to install the octura rudder that was working well to test again,seem the car timming was working better than the marine timming,thanks for reading

http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?showtopic=40800
Whats your head clearance? Prop,pipe? water or not? We restrict water it helps a bunch,but it does take about a lap to get it rollin fast

Last edited by a moderator:
hi mike,as you seen my videos.i was trying air cooled and the desided to try water cooled head and while i was testing,i must of hit a fish/turtle and broke my rudder.i ran the jap up the bank while i was turning.i replaced the rudder with a speedmaster and from there on had a hard time.1440 prop,head at 7 thousand,pipe???.i replaced rudder and went out to test and glow plug igniter broke..my luck.try again another day..lil al

Back