.12 JAP Rigger Faster

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TCHedOff

I couldnt find my 1st video (I wanted to post this next to the 1st to show the progress at the club pond but the winds havent cooperated), so new post.... As you can see the lil .12 JAP rigger has gotten faster... however, the turnfin needs tweaking (pulling to right - you can see the change in water off the turnfin as it corners and in the front stretch where I chose to fight it - on the back stretch I just let it arc in a curve, hence the smaller rooster tail).

The sponson are too low AOA (slack in the boom tubes)...like 2.9 degrees....

Running water hooked up this time.... etc etc

Much room for improvement!

Not Mtruex fast but....

Smoke and mirrors!...and not really a JAP.
ohmy.gif
It's a Hollander "Hope and a prayer" .12
tongue.gif
Now you just need to work on keeping up and running with other boats on the water, and before you know it, you'll be able to beat Mario's Lil' Rascal!
smile.gif
Todd's little .12 is starting to run real well now that the motor finally loosened up. He's having a lot of fun running it, and thats what matters most.

Thank you for the positive comments!!

The boat is faster than my novice driving skills (I have some funny video on me driving straight into bouy 5 on my 1st lap! ETC ETC)....

I was worried that the 1st video might make people say "So what... I'm not interested in something that slow" (cause things were so new yet).

Opio, I hope this is encouraging for you and others building these lil JAP's! If I can build this boat w/success ANYONE CAN.... It is very idiot proof!

And again thanks to Rod, Dave Hall, Martin Truex, & Ron Zaker Jr for all the testing & development, and then to share it for free. Kudos!

yea im working on mine as we speak! just taking my time building it right!

Hey Todd, i recieved an e-mail from you yesterday, with a link to the video of your hydro. With this set up i have, i cant watch vids, but thanks anyway. Check the plans you have for the JAP .12 and see what the rudder depth is supposed to be. Just thinking rudder you are now running, may be to deep? If so, i have a old Tidewater mini rudder you can bolt on to try. Just an idea. Richard D

Hey Todd, i recieved an e-mail from you yesterday, with a link to the video of your hydro. With this set up i have, i cant watch vids, but thanks anyway. Check the plans you have for the JAP .12 and see what the rudder depth is supposed to be. Just thinking rudder you are now running, may be to deep? If so, i have a old Tidewater mini rudder you can bolt on to try. Just an idea. Richard D
My rudder matches my pre-JAP plans... but I'd like to take you up on the offer to try a shorter one... Larry C 1st suggested this (& GooeyCheese confirmed his .12 rigger runs a shorter one too) but before I cut my only rudder, I'd rather test yours.

Preston, thank you for the input... so far the B/C 1440 is all I have really run... I need to explore props more now that things are getting closer to being dialed in. Hope everyone had a safe & happy 4th!

My rudder matches my pre-JAP plans... but I'd like to take you up on the offer to try a shorter one... Larry C 1st suggested this (& GooeyCheese confirmed his .12 rigger runs a shorter one too) but before I cut my only rudder, I'd rather test yours.

Preston, thank you for the input... so far the B/C 1440 is all I have really run... I need to explore props more now that things are getting closer to being dialed in. Hope everyone had a safe & happy 4th!
Todd, send me your address, and i will mail the rudder assy, for you to try. Richard D

You had a 215 Prather on it for a while the day you shot the video and it was pulling it just fine, your revs dropped a little, but the boat wasn't losing power or speed in the turns You should have kept you first 1440 so you could compare the difference between it and the one you have now. Your motor is broke in now and making much better power, and could probably utilize the greater blade area of your first 1440. Until you build that boat the way it was designed to be you will never have it, or get it "dialed in". With your current boom tube set up and your ever changing drive line set up, the boat is different every time you run it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Larry,

Todd's 1440B/C now is way better than the last one.

His 1440B/C now will go 55+MPH once he gets his set up right.

The Prather 220 would be a better choice if you are looking

at Prather propellers for a 12 Hydro. The 220 will need to be

worked a little more than the Octura 1440, but it can run quite

well.

Have Fun Testing Fellas,

Mark Sholund

Todd,

Looking good! I watched both vids of the earlier run and the present run. Besides a looser engine, what else was different? prop, pipe length, etc.

Ron G

Todd,

Looking good! I watched both vids of the earlier run and the present run. Besides a looser engine, what else was different? prop, pipe length, etc.

Ron G
1) When it was slower/new I was running a full blade 1440 (now running a b/c 1440 w/reduced dia to 37.5 mm).... but now that the engine is stronger, I plan on trying some other props.

2) Pipe was at 7 1/2, then 7 1/4 - now running at 6 3/4 (I havent tried shorter yet.... but w/this prop, could probably go farther.... havent seen any signs of being too short; I've run it in a VERY small area for fun - like 70 yds by 40 yds oval WOT - after a REALLY sharp turn, it'd sometimes die down for 10-20 yds then come right back up on pipe - but most of the time it ran that small area at the same RPMS all the way around ).

3) Plug was MC 9's.... now using O Donnell "Blue's" (couldnt resist the price!)

As a 1st time builder + new to riggers + very little time running (only a gal run this yr) - I'm very happy w/this thing. I'm sure you'll be pleased too.

And Larry (Laedco58) - Get off my back!!!! and go back to that man cave you call home!!

I was wondering what pipe you are running at 6 3/4" ? I run the AB15 at 6 5/8" with a 1440 bc and detongued ohhh and a little pitched up (done by myself with the pliers) .

Paul

Todd,

Ron G
1) When it was slower/new I was running a full blade 1440 (now running a b/c 1440 w/reduced dia to 37.5 mm).... but now that the engine is stronger, I plan on trying some other props.

2) Pipe was at 7 1/2, then 7 1/4 - now running at 6 3/4 (I havent tried shorter yet.... but w/this prop, could probably go farther.... havent seen any signs of being too short; I've run it in a VERY small area for fun - like 70 yds by 40 yds oval WOT - after a REALLY sharp turn, it'd sometimes die down for 10-20 yds then come right back up on pipe - but most of the time it ran that small area at the same RPMS all the way around ).

3) Plug was MC 9's.... now using O Donnell "Blue's" (couldnt resist the price!)

As a 1st time builder + new to riggers + very little time running (only a gal run this yr) - I'm very happy w/this thing. I'm sure you'll be pleased too.

And Larry (Laedco58) - Get off my back!!!! and go back to that man cave you call home!!
Save that whining for Sunday when you can't keep up with Mario's 'Lil Rascal! Drivers meeting is at 9AM, Not Noon!
laugh.gif

Larry: That FUNNY!! :D

For the record: Mario has the slowest .12 rigger in our club (no one including Mario will argue this), and is STILL leading the club points.... Larry, we both know the weather & rough water has been on his side (personally, I CANT keep from hitting a bouy or having some other catastrophe!) Frankly, there aint a nicer guy I'd rather see in the Points Total.

Paul: I've run both the Glenn Q's "Texan" and a Mac 2.5 pipe BOTH at 6 3/4. The MAC pipe is currently on it. I have yet to try my Miss Bud pipe on it.... but the fastest .12 rigger in our club is running one.

Oh YEAH! Terry Kelly AKA TERMINATOR... where you at BUD?! :ph34r: I may not have have picked up what you claim I'll need... <_< but there is 3 others running even faster than me, including Hydroracer's Lightening .12 (Hey Mark, do I get a commission for testimonials??!)

Somone w/more knowledge/skill/time than I will have a 1st class racer (Martin: When you gonna take that thing of yours and put it on a course against others??! :D In any case, THANKS, and best wishes!)

todd

Larry: That FUNNY!!
biggrin.gif

If you spent as much time on proper boat setup as you do dreaming and scheming it faster than it really is,you would have a faster boat. With your flippy flop boom tubes and sponsons constantly changing from toed in to toed out,and your strutless drive system constantly changing angle it's amazing it runs at all. If you put forth a modest amount of effort and fixed the thing that are wrong with your boat, you would probably have one of the best handling and faster A's in the club. Now ain't that funny! or you could just make up excuses about the weather, and not having time skill or knowledge.

Back