Heart Attack Claims Two Time APBA Champion

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hydro Junkie

With a racing career that started as a crewman on the Miss B&I and Coral Reef, Gearge Henley was involved in hydroplane racing until 1975. His first unlimited ride was in 1970, driving the Bob Murphy owned Burien Lady, the former 1962 Notre Dame. He also drove Bob Fendler's Lincoln Thrift's 7-1/4% Special and Jim McCormick's Red Man II

Hired by Dave Heerensperger in 1974, Henley and the Pay N'Pak won in Washington DC, Owensboro KY, Tri-Cities WA, Seattle WA, Dayton OH, Sand Diego CA and Madison IN. George "retired" after the season, only to rejoin the Pak team in 75 at Owensboro, where hull damage forced the team to withdraw. Due to an off season rebuild, the Pak wasn't dialed in and placed 3rd in Detroit. After that race, the Jim Lucero led team got it right and won in Madison, Dayton, Tri-Cities, Seattle and San Diego, overcoming an early points lead racked up by Billy Schumacher and the Weisfields to take the boat's 3rd Championship by 651 points. A longer version of this, written by Fred Farley, can be found at the F1 Hydro website at http://www.abrahydroplanes.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=777&Itemid=59.

On a personal note, I met Geoge at the Hydroplane and Raceboat Museum back in the early 90s at a museum event(I'm sure Harry would remember this better than I). It took only talking to the man to see why his nickname, "Smiling George" fit him so well. He was one that was hard NOT to like as well as respect. His enthusiasm for the sport was also very evident. I ran into him again a few years ago in the pits at the Seattle Chevrolet Cup. While he had slowed down and was showing his age, his smile and enthusiasm hadn't changed. When I asked him about going for a ride in one of the new boats, he politely declined, but quickly followed saying that if the chance came, he would jump back into the old Pak and run around the race course "just for the fun of it". After talking a few minutes more, he said goodbye and walked away. For me, I will always have the memory and honor of having talked to a champion that I rooted for as a kid, when drivers were were bigger than life and risked life and limb every time they got into a boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
With a racing career that started as a crewman on the Miss B&I and Coral Reef, Gearge Henley was involved in hydroplane racing until 1975. His first unlimited ride was in 1970, driving the Bob Murphy owned Burien Lady, the former 1962 Notre Dame. He also drove Bob Fendler's Lincoln Thrift's 7-1/4% Special and Jim McCormick's Red Man II

Hired by Dave Heerensperger in 1974, Henley and the Pay N'Pak won in Washington DC, Owensboro KY, Tri-Cities WA, Seattle WA, Dayton OH, Sand Diego CA and Madison IN. George "retired" after the season, only to rejoin the Pak team in 75 at Owensboro, where hull damage forced the team to withdraw. Due to an off season rebuild, the Pak wasn't dialed in and placed 3rd in Detroit. After that race, the Jim Lucero led team got it right and won in Madison, Dayton, Tri-Cities, Seattle and San Diego, overcoming an early points lead racked up by Billy Schumacher and the Weisfields to take the boat's 3rd Championship by 651 points. A longer version of this, written by Fred Farley, can be found at the F1 Hydro website at http://www.abrahydroplanes.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=777&Itemid=59.

On a personal note, I met Geoge at the Hydroplane and Raceboat Museum back in the early 90s at a museum event(I'm sure Harry would remember this better than I). It took only talking to the man to see why his nickname, "Smiling George" fit him so well. He was one that was hard NOT to like as well as respect. His enthusiasm for the sport was also very evident. I ran into him again a few years ago in the pits at the Seattle Chevrolet Cup. While he had slowed down and was showing his age, his smile and enthusiasm hadn't changed. When I asked him about going for a ride in one of the new boats, he politely declined, but quickly followed saying that if the chance came, he would jump back into the old Pak and run around the race course "just for the fun of it". After talking a few minutes more, he said goodbye and walked away. For me, I will always have the memory and honor of having talked to a champion that I rooted for as a kid, when drivers were were bigger than life and risked life and limb every time they got into a boat.
You couldnt have said it better.......George Henley and the "Winged Wonder".....what a combo that was!

Latest posts

Back