Hatch attachment methods

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When the bolts go threw the side wings what do they thread into on the top wing? Also What do yo guys add to the wings to make them float or do they float on their own?

Mine thread inside the top wing. But my rear horizontal is not adjustable. I don't think it needs to be. It's level with the boat. Some guys adjust the rear to help lift the butt up. A lot of it depends on if you want to adjust your rear wing.

Foam is inside all my wings. Make sure your wings float before you use them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you use 2part foam to fill the wings? And do your bolt going into the top wing just thread into the side of the top wing itself or did you add a nut or aluminum inside the top wing?

Nylon screw through the upright and into a nylon hinge section(?).. (not sure what those things are called).

At the transom I use standard ball links. Here I use a steel screw since the diameter is so small.

I use this same method even in boats using a horizontal wing and it works great. Holds during racing, pops apart during blowovers (but that never happens, right?).

Hope this helps

20180922_093637.jpg

20180922_093813.jpg

Magnet side load solution; recess them slightly. Problem solved with no pins required. Simple, just the way I like it. Your cowling will drop into place with a very satisfying SNAP.

Of course this brings up the next issue... How to get it back off! You'll see in one of the pics that I extended the faux header outlet a bit so I could get a finger in there to pull up.

Hope this helps too!

20180922_094743.jpg

20180922_094910.jpg

Oh... last comment and then I'll shut up. I haven't tried pour foam in uprights, but it just might work. Normally I trim a piece of a pool noodle and slide that in. Sadly I've had them side out on brutal crashes, sinking an upright. Not good. If you try pour foam I recommend you start with veeeery little and add more if needed. Hate to blow a wing apart with foam!

When yor wings and verticals are still in pieses pour the foam in and let dry then cut and sand the excess off, this will give you a good glue surface. I have made wings out of balsa and ran a carbon rod in the horizontal for pivot then covered in 6 oz. cloth and West also the verticals, they are very stong and they will float. Hann had a video on doing it that way, works great.

Brad

Thanks for all the really great ideas. They have helped a ton. This is my first large hydro and figuring out some of these small ins and outs are tricky.I'm sure I'll have a few more as it comes along

Really? How far down is your strut from the bottom of the hull and how far down from the bottom of the sponsors?

Back