Harsh weather for our Aussie friends

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Ferrette

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Vendor
Hang tough my Aussie pals in the northeast areas-

from the Associated Press wire-

SYDNEY, Australia -- Residents along stretches of Australia's northeastern coast were ordered out of their homes Sunday as a powerful cyclone bore down. Tropical Cyclone Larry was a Category 4 storm packing winds up to 174 mph, said Australia's Bureau of Meteorology. It was moving west at up to 19 mph, and was expected to hit the coast early Monday. "People in the path of this very dangerous cyclone should stay calm and remain in a secure shelter ... while the very destructive winds continue," the bureau said on its Brisbane Tropical Cyclone Warning Centre Web site. It warned of surging waves, strong currents and flooding. The stretch of coast along the storm's path included the city of Cairns, popular with foreign tourists and the starting point for many Great Barrier Reef boat cruises. Queensland state Premier Peter Beattie declared a disaster situation, giving local governments the power to enforce mandatory evacuations. Authorities ordered residents south of Cairns to flee their homes if they live close to the coast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dang Man,

Heads up Mates!!! Check in and let us know all of our friends downunder,

Crap first the wildfires and now this,

Gene

its due to hit the north Queensland coat in about 2 hours, the cyclone will afect weather all the way down the east coast well past sydney. Luckily im 800 miles south west of them. hang in there guys.

Dave

Just read in the Washington Post the storm hit shoreline as a category 5 & was still a 4 as in went inland. :eek:

Some news, Thanks for all your concerns over there guys, the day after appears to be no injuries or deaths luckily (but not 100% sure) 45000 yes correct figure homes destroyed or there abouts, almost all of australias bananna plantations have been desrtoyed so we wont have bananas for at least 18months and lots of people have lost there jobs, me personally here at bondi beach sydney, we had awsome waves huge surf lots a fun to big for my rc surfer girl but great for me.

cheers

Pete

Back