Glow plug for CMB .90

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey all, another newbie question for ya........ the boat I just got came with a couple of MC-8 glow plugs, and the seller said he ran it a few times and it ran great with these, but he probably knew less than I do...anyone feel like showing me the pros and cons of glow plugs for the .90, or at least a link to GlowPlug101....I plan on running 30% nitro, since the guy at the LHS said it has lost some compression.

TIA

Doug

P.S. In case yer wondering, I haven't run the boat yet...just got it a few days ago with no place locally to run it...gotta wait till next weekend for the cabin trip :(

I was told you can use the McCoy 8's on the larger engines since they are a cooler running plug. For small engines like .21 you should use the McCoy 9's.

Bottom line is there all gonna work fine in your engine. You'll just need to make a slight adjustment on the needle.

hey dude

i have the cmb 90 with the red head and have run 50% with mccoy9's really well. and have it running on 20% now with the cipolla red plugs and it likes them too.

if you have not run the engine yet pull the head off and check for corrosion and check the head button for little pit marks,, there called detination. its when the plug goes and the element goes through the engine.

also put a bit of fuel in to the engine to wash it out or if you want to use accatone here in aus it also used to clean finger nail polish..

if you treat the engine well it will love you..

also what boat are you putting it in??

hydro mono??

paul

destroyer racing.

Thanks guys, I wish I knew more about this stuff....I guess it just takes time and experience. I'm also at the disadvantage of not having any local race groups around here, and all the guys at our LHS's look at me funny when I ask about boats.

Paul, I'm running the .90 Evo 2000 on a 46" Twincraft mono

Laugh at them RIGHT BACK, If there in the hobby Biz, and dont know what a CMB Is, Or the good ole Twincraft, I wouldnt deal with them, cause they will just BS there way through it.

What you have there is a hell of a combo.

and i hope your happy with that engine and boat.

Now i run the R5 race plugs by OS. there alittle more that the MC-9s but they seem to hold up longer.

Now if you run low nitro, use a hotter plug like the A3- or A8 plugs. Higher nitro you want to use the colder, A5-R5 all by O.S. I have had really good luck with the OS plugs.

I would start out with 10-15% nitro and A3s, Untill you get the tuning part mastered, It makes tuning a big nitro a hell of a lot easier. Plus being new, I would recommend it.

Higher nitro throws off your pipe lenght settings and needle, Higher nitro you have to OPEN the needle more than lower nitro.

For play, I would run the lower % just to make things easier, dont want you to get flustered and NOT LIKE NITRO BOATS, And prepair to chase it time to time.

Thanks nitro, I feel like I've learned alot even though I haven't even run the boat (this weekend for sure)....If I go with the 10-15%, considering it's an older engine, do I need to add oil? also, talk to me about after run oil...is it a must, how to add, how to flush before a run, etc.

Thanks tons

Doug

View attachment 595

Doug,

That CMB 90 is not that old of a motor. Typically the 90's prefer the lower content of fuel but Tidewater usually changes the shim before they sell them to allow for higher running nitro.

The only time you'll need to add some type of oil to the nitro is if you use an off brand like Sig or Omega, those brands aren't true to the nitro level and the oils in them do not lubricate your bearings piston, etc...for crap. Definitely try to get RedMax or Byron's fuel. They are user friendly and don't require you to add anything at all. The bonus w/these fuels is they burn clean and really don't leave gunky deposits that clog the bearings and the PTO bearings in your motor.

As for afterfuel run, ATF, Marvel Mystery oil it is a MUST! That is if you want your engine to perform and run consistantly and if you don't want to replace bearings and parts all the time. Here's what I do. I spray through a lot of WD-40 to displace the wayer. Than I use a bleand of automatic transmission fluid with Marvel Mystery oil. One or the other if just fine but I prefer my own home made remeady. Last, I spray Corrision X and flush it out. Consider it a day. Follow this and you will have an engine that love's you and will last a long time, that is if you don't lean it out and over rev it.

Have fun,

Rodney

Kinda looks as if your missing a motor mount screw

I would for make sure there all there and tight, the torque my twist things if not bolted.

and that dont look like that old of a engine.

and i would stick with lower nitro. I have tried the higher nitro, and to be honest, it was a ***** for me to get in tune.

and for a play boat, your not setting a speed record, or going for points in a race.

So go with the lower nitro and you will have a SMALLER headach at the end of the day.

Back