Gear drive - .21 monos

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MitjaJ

I'm thinking of building a .21 mono. Most of guys here in my country are using a gearbox (ussualy 1:2 ratio) on their surface drive monos.

They are able to spin big props like the X455/3 without any problems. Noone seems to have any experience with direct drive monos.

I would rather build a direct drive mono, since I don't like the more complex gear setup.

What would be faster a direct drive with a smaller prop like X440/3 or a geared boat with a larger prop ?

Anone got any experience ?

I'm thinking of building a .21 mono. Most of guys here in my country are using a gearbox (ussualy 1:2 ratio) on their surface drive monos. They are able to spin big props like the X455/3 without any problems. Noone seems to have any experience with direct drive monos.

I would rather build a direct drive mono, since I don't like the more complex gear setup.

What would be faster a direct drive with a smaller prop like X440/3 or a geared boat with a larger prop ?

Anone got any experience ?
Ive seen both and will give my 2 cents. Direct drive has got to have less driveline drag than a set of gears. A good 21 motor with a perfect prop x437 3 or x440x3 should do fine I run the second version Seaducer with a short stroke Nova and get in the upper 20k rpm range without problems.........Go PINKY

I'm running a little Speedmaster 20 with a gear at 1.5:1, had problems keeping a gear in it until I got some from Dave Marles last fall. Stripped gears kept me from runing the thing the way I wanted to in the first place, ie: buzzing the $h!t out of it. So till now it kinda runs in the pack, mid to high 40's in heat trim.

Now that I've got some gears that seem to be hanging in there look out Pinky! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm running a little Speedmaster 20 with a gear at 1.5:1, had problems keeping a gear in it until I got some from Dave Marles last fall. Stripped gears kept me from runing the thing the way I wanted to in the first place, ie: buzzing the $h!t out of it. So till now it's kinda run in the pack, mid to high 40's in heat trim.
Now that I've got some gears that seem to be hanging in there look out Pinky! :lol:
But isn't the motor at bit high??? :p

Jr.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm running a little Speedmaster 20 with a gear at 1.5:1, had problems keeping a gear in it until I got some from Dave Marles last fall. Stripped gears kept me from runing the thing the way I wanted to in the first place, ie: buzzing the $h!t out of it. So till now it's kinda run in the pack, mid to high 40's in heat trim.
But isn't the motor at bit high??? :p

Jr.
Ahhh, just wait... :D

Back