gas or nitro

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porschefan911

Hi guys, here's the deal, i have 4 electric boats but i want a gas or nitro, im thinking of building the gas boat thats in the plans section when school starts because i have a homelite and hardware for the boat is like 100 buks and all the electronics i got ORR>>>> should i get nitro? I have a kyosho .15 engine i can use, where can this go into? if its useless (although i dont plan to race) are the any couplers that directly connect the engine shaft to the drive? k, another question, if i were to get a nitro boat like you guys got like a seducer boat, how much dough am i looking at if i need just an engine and the hull, because hardware i make and i have a gas tank etc.? please help, really want a fuel powered r/c boat

What is the water like where you run?

What are you using for transportation?

How much space do you have for storage?

What do the other guys around you run?

Well your tiny engine can be used in many small boats with no problems at a very low budget however to run a seaducer with a stock Homelite ...well this can be kind of boring once seaducer's like strong modified gas engines..... but like Mike said first anwer his questions and see what really can be interesting and will foot your bill.

Good luck

Gill

Well i run in a pond which leads to lake Ontario

we get around by car

we got a trailer

no one else runs anything but electric which is what i also run

Homelite weedwackers are a good place to start if your going to do gas (thats where i started at least.) just understand you are only going to get about 25-30 mph out of one. and you will have to do a lot of custom work to mount it into a boat if your not wanting to fork out the cash for premade mounts that may not fit your engine.

Im not sure about the kyosho .15 but you may be able to find some couplers that will work. I am using a trx .15 in a custom hull. Just have to wait for the local hobby store to get my order in for the coupler. (i would recommend it if i had the part number.) again with a .15 dont expect blasing speeds.

From experiance, the gas engines are easier to work with(less cleaning) and cheaper in the long run. But you have to have room for that 44" and 15 pound boat.

Phil

Panther Designs

As stated before it depends upon what you want to do with this boat.I myself prefer the gas approach but keep in mind all the gas parts and equipment can get pretty expensive.Depending upon your building skills some pretty good deals on entry level gas boats pop up quite often on Jims boat dock,Ebay and Rc Universe. Mike Z (grimracer) has a mean glass scaled down wild thing that he sells and that .15 would be a good shoe in.Tom Moorehouse also sells a nice .12 size rigger that that .15 would fit also.Theres lots of companys that sell small hardware sets.Im sure Tom can help you there or try Rumrunner hobbies,or Fine design.I believe Als hobbies in Chicago can help you with a coupler and shaft setup.You might consider a transplant of your .15 into a electric hull?Hope this helps and I believe I have some pics of Mike Zs wood wild thing and it could give you an idea of what hes making.Email me if you want those [email protected]

porschefan where are you in Ont.? I am in the seaway valley area and also porscheaddicted lol (1981 924NA (curently engine rebuild )

Gasoline Positives

-----------

Eengines are normally reliable.

The hulls are impressive when u see them on the water

Pump Gas is cheaper then nitro (easier to get if no hobby shop near you)

Flex cable is as close as your small engine repair place (if your using square drive)

Sparkplugs easy to get (small engine repair place)

Relativily easy to tune engine

Can be used in rougher water conditons

Gasoline Negatives

-----------

Initial cost

Size these models are in regards to storage and transportation (tho they shrink fast at the pond)

Attention getter cause of the sheer size.

Must use an FM radio system (ignition system interferes with AM radios)

Speed like others have said with homelite about 30mph (zenoah much higher)

Biggest negative of all once you try it you will be hooked lol

I dont have a homelite so some others will have to chime in. my oringinal intention was to use one but I went all out and purchased a zenoah (it just fit better in the particular hull I have.

what ever you decide to do good luck with it.

Chris.

I live in Toronto

My dad and I used to have a 968 turbo s but were forced to sell it,

thanks for advice guys

Sincerely

Porsche and Audi all the way

I have a few boats that I run with .15 size engines in them. Both hydros but they are definitley fast boats. At least to me. They are running approx 40-45 mph. Part are availible and they are much more resonibly priced than the larger boats. They are more sensitive to setup though. They have to be set up just right to go fast.

I just recieved a wildthing 12 from Grim. Very nice boat and incredibly light. I bet it runs very well in light water.

Back