Fuel line venting

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vince Fantauzzi

After spending a small fortune running my nitro 90 rigger last summer, I decided to convert it to a 26cc gas, since I'm only sport running it, I'm willing to sacrifice a few rpm's. My question to you folks is this: are there any issues with venting the tank through the pipe as with a Nitro engine? Riggers, as you know, kick up a lot of spray and I fear water being sucked into the fuel tank...or should I just go with the IV set up?

Thank you for your input, and happy boating!

Vince

Last edited by a moderator:
When I use a hard tank in my gas boats I get about a foot of stainless lock wire slip it into some tygon fuel tube then wrap it around my finger tight to make a pig tailand let it lay in the boat beside the engine with a couple cable ties on it to stop it banging around, I am yet to get water into the tank using this method

Do not connect it to your exhaust up in flames it will go, with nitro that line pressureizes the tank it doesn't vent it

Andrew

I run a 16 ounce hard Sullivan gas tank that is pressurized the same way that a nitro hard tank would be pressurized. I have used this type of system for at least 10 years because the carburetors I use have no diaphragms. I was told using this type of system would surely set the tank & boat on fire. There has been no fire of any kind! I even poured raw gas inside the tuned pipe to see if it could be ignited by the exhaust. Nothing happened except the raw gas was expelled when the engine was started. Filling the 20 " long pressure line with raw gas also does nothing except push that gas back into the tank. I have a fuel filter in this line to prevent any dirt from entering the fuel system. The filter contains a 400 denier stainless wire screen.

Jim Allen

I think its funny us nitro guys all like the hard tanks. I've run both. i prefer the hard tank too but i do think the bags are better as long as you can secure them properly in the boat. Venting is obviously the biggest problem with a hard tank. This works pretty well. The thought being the canister will take a while to fill the canister before the water can get in the tank if you flip. The more fuel line the better between the canister and tank. I never had a problem and i've flipped my boat quite a few times.

But either way the vent will stink like gas and it could still get water in...or get gas in the boat.. The bag can rip but they're a lot more rugged than you would think.

Hope this helps,

Brian

image.jpg

Another way to vent the tank is with a aquarium bronze filter that pumps air into the aquarium tank. It lets air in but is too microscopically small to let any water in.

Bill

If you just run the vent line into a small canister(film) with the line ending in the middle of oiled air filter foam the water will stay out but the air will pull through unrestricted.

Coiled hose is fine but it never completely clears out of water after a dump unless you remember to blow out with fuel or compressed air.

Anything left in the coiled hose will be drawn into the tank on the next run.

For gasoline engine with a standard carb the fuel bag is hands down no brainer the way to go.

Back