ford truck

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Wood

Guys,

need some ford people out there.. i talked to mikey about this quit a while ago and forgot most of the conversation lol

i have a friend looking at a 2004 f350 with a 6.0 liter diesel.. i know they also had the 6.4 is the 6.0 any good.

it has 49,000 miles on it, extended warranty to 100,000

wants 25,000 for the truck.. it is a king ranch additon.. it is a nice rig.

let me know your thoughts on the motor and is there any tricks to things to look for and WHERE IS THE FUEL FILTER located? and can a normal joe change it without taking it to a shop for a huge bill?

thanks in advance

chris

need to spring for the duramax/allison combo.... The best thing to come for diesel pickups since, well, since there inception. :D

2 fuel filters on that truck. one (secondary) on top of the engine, next to the oil filter. another (primary) on the inside of the left frame rail, about even with the driver. secondary takes a 24 mm/15/16" socket to change, primary takes a 36 mm/1 5/16" socket. make a drain trough out of the side of an anti freeze jug to place under the primary filter, otherwise you will be wearing the fuel that will drain. also, on the front inner side of the primary housing is a water drain, small allen plug, 8 mm i think. drain it first, will lessen spillage when opening the filter housing. system is self bleeding, just crank & let idle. the injectors on these 6.0's are very delicate, cannot tolerate any water or fuel starvation. replacement ain't cheap!! i recommend changing the fuel filters at each oil change, every other at the minimum. a GOOD quality fuel system additive on occasion won't hurt either. good motors, just take good care of them, or they WILL have issues. they are not maintainence free, or even tolerant, but cared for properly, they will give good service. the last company i worked for had about 11 6.0's in everything from F250's to F550's, they held up well with proper care. can't stress proper maintainence enough!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks man.

i have heard about the maintence on them.. i will pass that along

rodney.. he already has a duramax.. but he wants a different truck and don't want government motors. you have to know this guy.. bleeds USA all the way.

chris

thanks man.

i have heard about the maintence on them.. i will pass that along

rodney.. he already has a duramax.. but he wants a different truck and don't want government motors. you have to know this guy.. bleeds USA all the way.

chris
If there were more of us that bleed USA all the way we might not be in the predicament we are in right now........ Just sayin :)

Last edited:
no more of them Fords are built in the USA then every other "American" auto manufacturer. But im not going to derail this thread, because Ive got great respect for Chris.

Chris tell your buddy to get a Lyle fuel filter socket<will also do the oil filter. Also tell him to get an Edge controller,it will make lots of power and even help fuel mileage. If the egr cooler ever goes out get it modded to eliminate it. Never miss a oil change or fuel filter and should run a good long time. Id buy a 6.0 in a minute but the new 6.7 will get over 20 mpg....50 grand for a cheapy......

thanks for the info mikey.

what is up with the new trucks? they have some sort of exhaust liquid fill right next to the fuel tank fill? does it have anything to do with the exhaust break?

chris

WHAT IS DEF?

A non-hazardous clear fluid (67% deionized water / 33% chemically pure Urea) that is injected into the diesel exhaust system to reduce NOx emissions.

WHY DEF?

Required for the 2011 model year F-Super Duty 6.7L Ford diesel to meet 2010 EPA emission regulations

For use with competitive make vehicles using a SCR (selective catalytic reduction) system

How frequently will DEF need to be replenished?

The system is designed to last approximately 7,500 miles between fill ups, coinciding with the oil & filter change interval. However, depending on customer use, replenishment may need to occur more frequently

just havin' some fun, mike. i know about the def sensor & urea to help reduce emissions.

A buddy of mine had the 6.0L for a little over a year and just sold it , way to many problems and the last time it was in the shop they spent over a week just trying to figure out what was wrong.

He is now driving a Dodge and he is a die hard ford guy.

On the other hand I am lovin my Duramax...

Tim K

One thing to watch out for is to the best of my knoweledge the warranty is 5 years or 100,000 miles. with it being a 2004 i think the warrenty is probably done. my 6.0 has 125,000 miles and during the warranty period the fixed the following:

EGR cooler

FICA module

Some fitting for high pressure oiling system.

fuel pump

Have had no problems last 50,000 miles.

I have sveral friends with the same motor and we all have over 100,000 miles now

One of them has had injector problems

We have all had alternator problems and we have all had the same problems as I have listed above. also another friends truck had to have a rear end however he pulls very heavy stuff all the time.

It is almost amusing that one of these trucks keeps 3,000 more miles than i do and when he has problems, I can count on mine to have the same problem with in that 3,000 miles. They have the quirks but I would buy another.

Allen

I bought my F-350 new in 2007 and have 42000 miles on it with no issues at all. Mine is a Crew cab but I liked the Lariat over the King Ranch as a friend of mine had one and hated the suede like leather. His dog snagged and ripped it. Lariat is a smooth leather.

Great tow vehicle and the transmission/engine brake program has come down some steep grades with my 40' 5th wheel and rarely needed to apply brakes. Towing is easy to move something but stopping the load is critical. I also know several people who have "chipped" their diesels and were sorry. I was never going to drag race my 17,000# trailer and it accelerated down the road just fine for me. Adding 100 HP and big torque you will pay for. Do you really need to do burnouts with a truck?

Sold my trailer and now the truck is on the block in the $26,000 range so I think a 2004 might be a little steep at that price. I liked the room in the cab on the Ford over my sons 250 crew cab Dodge. Cummings and GM Duramax are all good too.

After 3 years towing a large trailer I would buy another Ford.

Mic

Back