Flow meters propane and Boris style.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmunn

Guys, I have one of the older style flow meters that uses propane.I was under the impression that i need to keep track of air density and ambient temps and record that and try and duplicate the FM number on days that are similar.I think this is correct and there maybe other things to keep track of.

My question is this and without starting too big of a debate.......With the Boris meter is it necessary to do the same or once you get your number and the engine runs well and you are happy,,,,,is that your number and you set the needle to that value and your good to go.Not having to pay too much attention to other factor to get and maintain your needle.

No matter which flowmeter you are using, the air density, temp and humidity will effect the running of nitro boats. I keep track of all 3 plus the water temp at the races. Using the flowmeter just gives you more accurate data to set your needle regardless of the race conditions. Do you NEED the air density meter? No but it CAN help you more. I am using the Boris meter as it is much more accurate than the propane units. And it is safer too. I have had them both.

Last edited by a moderator:
John hit this......... Terry, mine's propane too, basically, propane is a gas that stays inert or whatever the heck at any air temperature......and well yeah reading the ball versus a nice blood pressure gauge would be more accurate.... and can be... my propanie works well enough for me.... i wouldnt have wanted one, until this old school guy shows one day,11 yrs ago... sets his needle with propane and never missed a beat all day...... magic machine.... built one... now... i use all 3rd channel needles in my boats.... i only use my propanie to set/check the flow on a new boat/new needle set up, with an inline needle, first, and then the 3rd channel main is set the same, and the radio's range rarely if ever has had me change the main...... The Boris' meter is accurate.... yours is too... get ya a smokin good run, plugs still good, boats' fast, what youre lookin for.... and flow it.... unless you run into a massive cold air front and 100 degrees and humid the next day you'll rock and roll.... you'll get a feel for what you need to do...... maybe think on 3rd channel options... so you can click and ruin plugs eating up the lake like we all do..... throwin it out, but mines all Dwyer gauges... anywhere from 2.8 to 3.6 ( third channel needle range easily).... wheres yours at?..... be good, run boats... Mike

After the last two race I've been to in the last month i've found that a good BM meter number that is found during a weekend tune up will be REALLY close on race day hour to hour, hot/light air to cool/dense air, within a number or two. I ran my twin yesterday at the Dallas race and simply pulled it out of the trailer fueled it up and set the needles to MY numbers. Ran perfectly!

I have become a big fan of the BM meter for this reason.

JMHO.

Terry,

Here is my opinion. The propane

meter uses the same gas all the time so no matter what the ambient conditions are you will need to keep a log of what is the best flow for a given day. As far as I am concerned this is worthless. In other words I am not a fan of the old propane flow meters.

On the BM meter, it uses a pump that runs at a constant rpm and flows the same volume of air each time. Now on a cold day where the air is more dense you will build more pressure when trying to push the same amount of dense air through the needle and the pressure will increase from you pre determined number. You now open the needle to lower the pressure and will find you are real close. Cold day needs more fuel and that is what you just had to do to find your number.

Now on a warm less dense day the same volume of air will create less pressure through the needle so you will need to close the setting to find that same number. Once again you will find that you are real close.

In summary I have found the BM meter to be a very worth while investment. The only time my setting was off, I found that my bearings had gone bad. All other times I set to my single number and I am spot on. With the BM meter you find one number, write it down and set the needle to that number all the time. If you have a third channel needle you can fine tune it to get it dead on.

My two cents,

Albert

Terry,

The best tool I have ever spent money on in this hobby for sure.

The BM meter is the best I have ever used period.

Enough Said,

Mark Sholund

Joe W and I used the flow meter in Evansville this past weekend set the needles and we never made a needle change the whole weekend and ran the same plugs in the whole event including testing thats 4 gallons of fuel thru the motors in a race and no needle change.. the BM flow meter ids a must specially in Twin racing..

albert hit the nail on the head B) ! the boris meter pumps the air the engine runs on, & is much more accurate than a propane meter you have to compensate for as the gas changes density. when i use my boris meter, i only have to click my third channel a notch or 2, if at all.

Throw out the propane and get with Boris' meter, you will never go back.

I just bough a meter from boris.

Anyone need a good deal on the propane style with cabinet and all working gauges and plumbing.Send me a pm and maybe we can work something out.

The flow meter that Boris manufactures is the best tool that has come along for this hobby in several years. I still have the old two pump (Gen 3?) that is so good I do not want to update it only because I have memorized my numbers and it is very consistant from race site to race site. I set my needles to those numbers and don't even touch the 3rd channel during a heat. I always check the flow prior to a heat and it tells you if the atmosphere has changed at all. To coin a phrase "set it and forget it". If anyone should be nominated for an award in the IMPBA for contributions to the hobby, I highly recommend Boris for this.

Regards........Rick

The flow meter that Boris manufactures is the best tool that has come along for this hobby in several years. I still have the old two pump (Gen 3?) that is so good I do not want to update it only because I have memorized my numbers and it is very consistant from race site to race site. I set my needles to those numbers and don't even touch the 3rd channel during a heat. I always check the flow prior to a heat and it tells you if the atmosphere has changed at all. To coin a phrase "set it and forget it". If anyone should be nominated for an award in the IMPBA for contributions to the hobby, I highly recommend Boris for this.

Regards........Rick
Hi, Rick! Your flow meter is older than GEN-3 and have calibration valve. GEN-4 not needs calibration and has much more air flow and longer run time. I can upgrade flow meter to LIPO battery without changing your numbers. Boris

Joe W and I used the flow meter in Evansville this past weekend set the needles and we never made a needle change the whole weekend and ran the same plugs in the whole event including testing thats 4 gallons of fuel thru the motors in a race and no needle change.. the BM flow meter ids a must specially in Twin racing..
Hi, Julian! Did you test my cordless starter? How you like it? Boris

Hi, Julian! Did you test my cordless starter? How you like it? Boris
Perfect i loved it it had plenty of power more than needed.. you were right 14.8V had alot of power.. i gave the battery Pack back to Joe W to give back to you because i only paid for the starter ok thank you very much..

I feel the need to comment here..every once in a while theres someone in this hobby that makes it that much easier for us to enjoy running

these boats without the stress and headaches we had in the old days..Boris with his flow meters have allowed me to take most of the guess work

out of being to rich or lean..which means longer glow plug life and more important not having your boat die out in the middle of the course

and risking getting hit..and once again with his wireless starters, they are awesome, i own one these starters and not once did i have to charge

it during a 4day race with 5 boats(one being a twin) this past winternats..Hats off to Boris!!!

Latest posts

Back