Flat Bottom Strut As A Riding Surface

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russell Bear

In a surface drive mono, would a flat bottom strut with a small skeg be considered a riding surface and placing it in the hydro class? If not is this desirable compared to a round strut?

Last edited by a moderator:
Russ-

That was a very touchy subject a while back but it was decided to allow them. The rule that I personally think should be removed is no wings on monos, the real boats use them......... <_<

I'm not trying to "get away" with anything, just basically wanted to know what if any benefits there are to using a flat bottom strut. Should I go with a round one?

Thanks.........

You know, I've always wondered about those. Are the wings sposed to give up or downforce?

interesting idea with the strutt as a rideing surface.

"interesting idea with the strut as a riding surface."

Exactly. How do you think the Seaducers get away with running no trim tabs?? :blink:

So, if I keep the flat strut, I shouldn't need the trim tabs for straight running? What about trimming for turns?

So, if I keep the flat strut, I shouldn't need the trim tabs for straight running?

Yes, in theory ............... :blink:

What about trimming for turns?

I've not yet seen a mono that turned worth a darn without them. <_<

I was told yesterday that on the older style Youngblood mono (which is what I have), that if you install the stuffing box 3/16" to the right of center that this will help with the turning. This is one way to run without the skeg. Anyone try this?

I've read about offsetting the shaft to the right 1/8 to 3/16" to help counter prop walk, but I don't know if it helps cornering or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
The flat area on the strut isn't really large enough to use in place of trim tabs.

Yeah, wings are illegal but that hasn't stopped Manufacturers from using other tricks. Channels decks and even slanted radio boxes can all add up in aerodynamics. Bill Zuber and I talked about this quite a bit one night. We also felt that people really trying to skate around a wing issue could call it a launch handle!

Offsetting the strut to the right helps to counteract torque helping the hull to run more level. The newer boats coming out have the bottoms redesigned so this doesn't have to be done as much as in the past.

I'm by far no Authority on this so if anyone else can help, please jump in. There is a slight "warpage" in the bottom of the hull generally on the right side that helps push the front down. It's not much, about 1/16" so it's kind of hard to see. Hulls shrink a little as they set up in the mold so Manufacturers have to compensate for it.

Back